The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Is this any good?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Is this any good?

by Tom NJ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 am

My local shop is advertising the 2012 Lafage Tessellae Carignan Vieilles Vignes for $11.99. Has anyone tried this? I've had real hit-or-miss experiences with carignan, so I was curious on which end of the spectrum this particular offering might fall.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Is this any good?

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:32 am

Tom, the last person to write it up on CellarTracker liked it quite a bit:

8/6/2014 - Dagalaifus Likes this wine: 90 Points

This Carignan from old vines is made by the dynamic team of Jean-Marc Lafage and Eric Solomon, who are well known for producing wines with an outstanding QPR (e.g., Evodia). The wine is dark garnet with a redolent nose of rhubarb pie and cherry. On the palate, the wine is fruit-forward, and medium-bodied with the same rhubarb pie and cherry, as well as blackberry, Christmas spices, white pepper and floral flavors. It has a medium-length finish and did not improve after exposure to 24hrs of air; accordingly, I would imbibe now, rather than waiting for it to improve in the cellar. Like Evodia, this wine has a great QPR -- I paid $12.99 for the bottle at a discount retailer. I respectfully, disagree with other tasters characterizing the wine as completely lacking in complexity. Does it have the nuanced nose and panoply of vibrant flavors of a CdP in a stellar vintage? -- Of course not. But you'd be hard pressed to find a French red in the $12 price range that's as good as the Tessellae.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks for that, Jenise! I guess I'll give it a shot :D
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:10 pm

In my experience with purchased wines that I find for the first time in a store, it is advisable to wait about 3-4 weeks after purchasing before opening. Often these wine have just arrived at the retailer's store and will benefit from a few weeks to reestablish themselves into what they were designed to be. This is a problem with wines from WTSO, Cinderella, and other "flash sites". So in all fairness to your new wine, it would be smart to sit on your hands for a few weeks to give this wine a chance to show it's best. Please report back.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:49 am

Richard Fadeley wrote:In my experience with purchased wines that I find for the first time in a store, it is advisable to wait about 3-4 weeks after purchasing before opening. Often these wine have just arrived at the retailer's store and will benefit from a few weeks to reestablish themselves into what they were designed to be. This is a problem with wines from WTSO, Cinderella, and other "flash sites". So in all fairness to your new wine, it would be smart to sit on your hands for a few weeks to give this wine a chance to show it's best. Please report back.

Thanks for the advice Richard, will do!

I have to say though, I don't think I've ever personally seen a "value wine" - or for that matter, any younger wine at all - suffer from bottle shock that requires a rest to rectify. Usually it's only the ones that have thrown a sediment, which needs time to re-settle. That's been my experience, anyway. But who knows, maybe since I've never tried a comparison with the younger specimens I'm in err there. So again, thanks!

:D