The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Napa Malbec?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Napa Malbec?

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:58 am

2010 James Cole Winery (Stags Leap District) Malbec.

Inky black color. BUT: Surprisingly lithe, with a high tone and plenty of palate cleansing acid. Dark berry fruit...maybe a touch of blueberry???? Oak not dominant at all...this is all about the acid. Juicy. Went very well with beef ribs, actually! Way too expensive to buy a lot of, but I have always been impressed with this winery's Malbecs!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Napa Malbec?

by Tom NJ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:07 am

What did they charge you for this, Brian?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:29 am

Interesting; don't think I've ever had a California malbec. Lots is being grown up here, but most don't compete with the Argentines for either quality or value, so I wonder why they bother. But they do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Tom NJ wrote:What did they charge you for this, Brian?

I'm too embarrassed to admit what I paid for this, Tom. :oops: New winery property, fancy stone building, prime Stags Leap location. You pay for the real estate and architecture and very slick (although somewhat "odd" affect) staff!) :twisted:

My...."financial management" life skills are pretty much "failure". :oops: :shock:

High End Napa Cab pricing, basically ($50++). But the thing is...I really liked this wine, and I don't like very many Argentinean malbecs, to be honest.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:14 pm

Lagier Meredith makes a Malbec. It is very good, but not inexpensive. They also do a version under the Chester's Anvil line up that is a partnership with Pott wines. Also good. Also not cheap.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:42 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:But the thing is...I really liked this wine, and I don't like very many Argentinean malbecs, to be honest.

Me neither, especially at under $15 level. But I have had a few head-turners in the $20+ range.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:59 pm

Jenise wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:But the thing is...I really liked this wine, and I don't like very many Argentinean malbecs, to be honest.

Me neither, especially at under $15 level. But I have had a few head-turners in the $20+ range.

They often taste goopy, and there is too often that slick texture that says "oak chips" to me. :shock:
This wine had nice "cut", and I am seriously pro-acid, so.... Second vintage I have tried, so they know what they are doing with Malbec.

I do like Achval Ferrar, but those wines can be as expensive (or MORE) than the Napa one!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well.....

by TomHill » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:04 pm

Jenise wrote:Interesting; don't think I've ever had a California malbec. Lots is being grown up here, but most don't compete with the Argentines for either quality or value, so I wonder why they bother. But they do.

The L-M and the Chester'sAnvil Malbecs are priced around $40. Which I think is pretty reasonable given Napa Cabernet pricing. Especially given that they're
some of the best Malbecs I've ever had.
I've had the Reustle/UmpquaVlly Malbec that I was pretty impressed with.

As for Argentine Malbecs, I've yet to have one that really impressed. The sub-$20 ones have that coarse/earthy/sour character I associate
w/ SA reds. The high-end ones tend to have way too much oak. Not a genre I can bring myself to love. But I keep trying.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I'm too embarrassed to admit what I paid for this, Tom...High End Napa Cab pricing, basically ($50++). But the thing is...I really liked this wine, and I don't like very many Argentinean malbecs, to be honest.

Lol. No one should ever feel bad about indulging in a hobby, or need to justify the expenses therein (assuming the spouse doesn't find out :mrgreen: ) If you got it, go for it! Wallow, baby!

Oh, and like you - and I've never admitted this before, because around here it's like saying you're really a Franzia drinker - I've never had an Argentinean malbec I've enjoyed. Ever. There, I've said it.

Gosh...I feel so much lighter now!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Tom NJ wrote:
Oh, and like you - and I've never admitted this before, because around here it's like saying you're really a Franzia drinker - I've never had an Argentinean malbec I've enjoyed. Ever. There, I've said it.

Gosh...I feel so much lighter now!

I don't know...I don't think Argentinean Malbec gets a lot of good reviews around here. :wink:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

On my trip to Argentina in 2010 I enjoyed a number of Malbecs. The ones I drank there were not as rich/high octane as the ones I have had here in the USA.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Well.....

by Jenise » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:43 am

TomHill wrote:As for Argentine Malbecs, I've yet to have one that really impressed. The sub-$20 ones have that coarse/earthy/sour character I associate
w/ SA reds. The high-end ones tend to have way too much oak. Not a genre I can bring myself to love. But I keep trying.
Tom

My opinion was like yours for many years, and the wines I had to sample and choose from to do neighborhood tastings when people asked for Argentinian malbecs only solidified my stance. But more recently, we did a 'shootout' of three WA vs. three Argentines, all well regarded by critics, and it was no contest. The Argentines were way out in front--moderate alcohol, good fruit and structure, not plagued by too much oak--and they averaged $8-12 lower cost though cost didn't figure into my preferences, it was just a bonus. Forced me to change my mind or at least admit that there were better wines there than I had realized, and I didn't think that could happen. I could actually see myself buying some for our cellar (though I never got around to it).