The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another TJ's Steal??...NotReally....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Another TJ's Steal??...NotReally....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Tried this last night:
1. TraderJoe's Zin Reserve Oakville/NapaVlly (Lot #91; 14.2%) C&B by TheVineIntervention/ArroyoGrande 2012: Med.color; light toasty/oak fairly strong blackberry/Zin/spicy rather attractive nose; fairly tart light raspberry/blackberry/Zin/spicy light toasty/oak flavor w/ rather hard/angular/mean tannins; med.short light blackberry/Zin/raspberry/spicy light toasty/oak finish w/ hard/coarse/lean tannins; pleasant enough nose but hard/unattractive on the palate; avoid this wine at this price. $10.00 (TJ)
1. This was a new wine that showed up this week on the TJ's shelve in SantaFe. I always check the back label on these TJ's wines and if it says Ripon or AmericanCanyon or Napa, then I know it's a FredFranzia wine and flee in the other direction. This one said TheVineIntervention/ArroyoGrande...so I thought it might be something good. It was not. This is a branch of Mark & Andi Cummins' DrakeWines. They look to have some interesting CentralCoast wines...but I've never tried them. I gather this is the old CorbetCanyon (Canyon..Canyon...Canyon) wnry. But this Zin is one to avoid.
Tom
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: WTN: Another TJ's Steal??...NotReally....(short/boring)

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:46 pm

You might want to give these (Trader Joe's) wines a few weeks to settle down before opening. I enjoyed one of the Provencal rose's and went back and bought more, but I was somewhat disappointed with the wine. Bought another and let it settle for 3 weeks and it was much better, like I had enjoyed the first one. I've had the same experience with WTSO wines, and TJ's being the large chain that it is, the wines have to go through several transfers to get to your store. That might explain the need to give them a little time to "reconstitute". There are definitely some good values @ TJ's though.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman