The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1995 Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon

by Jenise » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:23 pm

Popped and poured from Bill Spohn's cellar last weekend after everyone else went home. He purchased this on release and cellared it well since. Surprisingly and commendably youthful for a Leonetti which, in my experience, don't usually age this well. Per CellarTracker less lucky bottles are past peak but this one was delightfully at peak and can hold here for a few years. Berry-cassis, tobacco, and a little leather. NICE. Thanks, Bill!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: WTN: 1995 Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon

by Hoke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Guess I've had a better track record, or better provenance, because I've been fortunate with the Leonnetti's holding up over time.

One of the more delightful evenings I enjoyed in the heyday of my wine years was a private dinner with an early fan of Gary Figgins' wines, enjoying a splendid vertical of several years, all from personal cellar-aged wines straight from production. Plus, as dessert topping, Gary and his wife were there and they were telling stories about their remembrances of both wines.

Talk about contextual tasting. :D

(If you've never met Gary, he is one of the absolute nicest, warmest guys you'll ever meet, Not in the least pretentious, down to earth, great attitude, quiet, and humble about his success. Also, my wife informed me, devastatingly handsome, a cross between dark Italian and Western cowboy.)