The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Vermouth: Noilly Prat Ambre

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

New Vermouth: Noilly Prat Ambre

by Hoke » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Don't know if any of you noticed there's a new vermouth on the U.S. market---well, not the entire U.S. market, as it is a limited release and available initially in only certain states. But if it's in your locale, and you're into cocktails, you need to get this new vermouth.

Noilly Prat, from Marseillan in the south of France, is justifiably famous for its Noilly Prat Dry White and Noilly Prat Sweet Rouge vermouths (Many people think the White is the best choice for a classic Martini, and the Rouge to be the perfect sweet red vermouth for a Manhattan).

Now they have Ambre.

Here's a blurb from a writeup I just did on the Portland Bar Scene and a cocktail made with Cognac, Becherovka and the Noilly Prat Ambre.

The Konami Code is as tasty as the description implies, based on Hennessey VS Cognac, and enhanced by Noilly Prat Ambré Vermouth, Becherovka from the Czech Republic, framboise (raspberry) and orange bitters. There’s an awful lot of delicious flavor going on here, yet the drink remains always in perfect balance. The fruity/oaky cognac plays well with this new style of vermouth; the Becherovka throws in some tangy herbal spikes; the framboise fattens up the fruit again; and the orange bitters add both bite and citrus. A deeply satisfying cocktail overall.

Noilly Prat Ambré Vermouth is new to the Portland market…because it’s new to the United States. Initially it is a limited release item in the Noilly Prat vermouth line, but with Portland being such a trendy bar town, some came this way. Look for it, because you’ll want to try this exceptional, flavorful vermouth! The Ambré uses all 25 of the aromatic herbs and spices and botanicals of Noilly Prat Rouge---then adds another 24 for a total of 49, resulting in a mature, barrel-aged vermouth loaded with aromas and flavors such as cardamom, lavender, cinnamon spice, rose petals, and vanilla. It’s both exquisitely complex and robust, and actually a tiny bit sweeter than the Rouge. It makes for some unexpected and delightful cocktail twists, or massively pleasant served simply with soda and a twist of lemon.

The Noilly Prat Ambré plays nicely with the Hennessey Cognac, rounding it out and filling up all the spaces, and the Becherovka adds a sprightly counterpoint to keep things interesting and edgy.

For the whole thing: http://www.examiner.com/article/portland-bar-scene-konami-code-at-the-imperial?cid=db_articles
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: New Vermouth: Noilly Prat Ambre

by Jenise » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:37 pm

What, pray tell, is Becherovka?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Jenise wrote:What, pray tell, is Becherovka?

Becherovka is a Czech (Bohemian) herbal-infused spirit. Created by a Mr. Becher, I believe. Very popular now with the trendy drink set and craft bartenders. Adds a nice zing to some cocktails, tho my understanding is quite a few people drink it as a bracing shot.

Go into an upscale bar, and quite likely they'll have it so you can taste it.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks for mentioning this. I haven't seen the Ambre around here but I'll keep an eye out for it. I like the NP rouge for drinks that do well with a less assertive vermouth then Vya or Carpano Antica. It will interesting to try the Ambre to see how it fits in.

The vermouth world just keeps on getting more and more interesting.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Thanks for mentioning this. I haven't seen the Ambre around here but I'll keep an eye out for it. I like the NP rouge for drinks that do well with a less assertive vermouth then Vya or Carpano Antica. It will interesting to try the Ambre to see how it fits in.

The vermouth world just keeps on getting more and more interesting.

Mike, the vermouth world is getting fascinating.

I just completed a chapter for the new version of the CSS, wherein we incorporated an entire section of "Aromatized Wines, Amari, and Cocktail Bitters", specifically to recognize that the entire world of spirits and mixology is changing so drastically (actually, it's more like Back To The Future in some ways, because some of the old brands and old ways are coming back again, along with some exciting new innovative approaches.

I got to do a LOT of fascinating research, and talked to quite a few producers in the process (many of them are local).

M&R (which, by the way, owns Noilly Prat) has stepped up the game this last couple of years. First, they reformulated their classic Noilly Dry---and there's that back to the future, because they reverted back to a drier, crisper old-style original profile---and then they came out with an anniversary celebration special the Gran Lusso (which you should get; not only is it great, they won't be making anymore for about ten years because the special barrel they used isn't there anymore; they depleted it), and now they've come out with the Ambre.

It's interesting, because the bartenders love the Ambre---but it is so different from what they have come to think of vermouth they're only slowly coming around to figuring out how best to use it. It's complex and aromatic to the extreme.

Local and fantastic is Patrick Taylor, winemaker at Cana's Feast winery, who got so fascinated with amari and vermouths that he first made his own version of a Chinato d'Erbetti...and it was outstanding! Then he made a couple of vermouths, one of which, L'Afrique, is big and bold and hugely flavorful. Another local,and now one of my favorite vermouths, is from Ransom (maker of Old Tom Gin). It is profound. And he front-labels all his ingredients,which I love. There's also Imbue, of course, now with their vermouth and their "Petals & Thorns", a vermouth-y, floral, spicy, tangy drink somewhat reminiscent of Lillet Rose (which, if you haven't had, you should).

There's a game-changer woman in Brooklyn who makes Uncouth Vermouth---but her's is really, really different: it's more variations on audacious fruit themes than what we think of as vermouth. Worth trying if you see any.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for all of the above.

The addition of a vermouth/amari section to the CSS course is a great idea. There's so much to work with in that category and (as you indicate) more showing up every day.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for all of the above.

The addition of a vermouth/amari section to the CSS course is a great idea. There's so much to work with in that category and (as you indicate) more showing up every day.

Yep, and when you add in the entire category of "Aromatized Wine"---and you get all the quinquina and Lillet and Dubonnet, and Byrrh, and the legions of amari, both vini amari and spirit amari---it seemed to require its own chapter quite naturally.