The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Pinots from Williams Selyem

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Two Pinots from Williams Selyem

by JC (NC) » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:08 pm

I have what seems like a lot of bottles of pre-2010 Pinot Noir from Williams Selyem so I am working my way through some of them starting with the 2007 vintage.

2007 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Russian River Vally. 14.1% abv. Very dark purple, opaque, and quite aromatic. Very juicy but with some underlying depth. In flavors it calls to mind a bowl of mixed berries. The wine has a pleasant light earthiness to bolster the fruitiness. Lightly tart which refreshes the palate. On the second evening, I thought it had more cherry tones (rather than the mixed berries of the first evening). On the second evening I had it with pot roast and root vegetables. It faded on the third evening.

2007 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Central Coast. 14.2% abv. I preferred the Russian River Valley over this one although both wines had their pluses. This did improve on the second evening. I also liked it better close to room temperature rather than quite chilled.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two Pinots from Williams Selyem

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:15 am

Nice notes JC. What is W-S getting for their regional blends these days? With the massive improvements in vineyard management & winemaking over the last couple of decades that seems to be a real value spot for most Pinot producers.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:37 am

With the 2007 vintage it was in the $37-$44 range. With recent releases it has risen to over $50 a bottle--not such a bargain.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:59 am

Yeah, that's tough for regionals. Jamie Kutch's Sonoma Coast blend is $38. Wind Gap is even less.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Noah R

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:21 am

by Noah R » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:05 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Yeah, that's tough for regionals. Jamie Kutch's Sonoma Coast blend is $38. Wind Gap is even less.

Williams-Selyem was a great tasting experience and they age very well but, for the money, I will take Peay, Ceritas, Au Bon Climat, Calera and a number of others. I find that it costs me less to buy their SVDs from 2005-2010 at auction than it does to buy their current release. May drop this list soon, though I love the older wines... Kutch SC is a great buy.