The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: d'Arenberg SauvBlanc F*ckeliana '11..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: d'Arenberg SauvBlanc F*ckeliana '11..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:45 pm

We tried last night at BBB:
1. d'Arenberg SauvBlanc The Noble Botryotinia F*ckeliana AdelaideHills (10.6%; SaH: 43.2 Brix; RS: 18.73%;
www.DArenberg.com.Au; L12010C) McLarenVales/SA 2011
: Deep gold color; very intense botrytis/apricotty/peachy slight alcoholic bit pickle juice/volatile slight oak complex nose; tart very sweet very intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty light oak slight pickle juice bit earthy some complex flavor; very long/lingering slight pickle juice very sweet slight tart/volatile/alcoholic intense botrytis/peachy/apricotty/fruit cocktail finish; a pretty good botrytis wine at a very good price. $16.00/hlf (BB)
Well..turns out that Google indicates ole Chester didn't make up this factoid. It is actually the name of that spore, named after a mycologist Karl Wilhelm Gottfried Fuckeliana.
But I'm certain that ole Chester was laughing on the inside when he got that label approved.
The wine was a pretty decent example of a botrytis wine. It would never be mistaken for a Sauternes and not as good as some of the Oz botrytis Semillons. I find that some botrytis SauvBlancs show a bit of a pickle juice character. I recall a MontereyVnyds botrytis SauvBlanc of DickPeterson's that turned into a horrible mess of pickle juice wine after about 10 yrs. Still have a hlf btl of it.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: d'Arenberg SauvBlanc F*ckeliana '11..(short/boring)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:02 pm

Try saying F*ckeliana ten times!!
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:58 pm

Is this the same as the other fuckeliana from the other day?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Have to laugh: did not expect the words "very good" to follow "fruit cocktail finish".
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup..

by TomHill » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:Is this the same as the other fuckeliana from the other day?

Yup...same wine I was asking about the other day, Tom.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Have to laugh: did not expect the words "very good" to follow "fruit cocktail finish".

Drink more wine from the Nahe. You will write that all the time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:44 pm

I actually had this wine a couple of weeks ago. It was the biggest surprise (in a positive way) of a couple cases at an "Inventory reduction party"

"Purchased just for the name, this was a very pleasant surprise and a very good wine. Sweet with apricot notes. Not cloying, but a little more acidity would have made it all the more special."
Charles
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:35 pm

And here I thought this missed a comma and was about Brad & Angelina's new wine!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:08 am

TomHill wrote:On the back label, it stated that Botryotinia Fuckeliana is the spore that is responsible for botrytis cinerea, the noble rot, that creates such great dessert wines.
My immediate reaction is this is just the irreverent ChesterOsbourne jerking us around, managing to get a lewd term on his label and thumbing his nose at the labeling regulatory authorities.
Well..turns out that Google indicates ole Chester didn't make up this factoid. It is actually the name of that spore, named after a mycologist Karl Wilhelm Gottfried Fuckeliana.

Most fungi have both an asexual stage and a sexual stage in their life cycles. These often appear very different, and so before modern Biology got the life cycles of fungi sorted out the two stages often were thought to be separate species. That is what we see here. The asexual stage of the fungus is the one responsible for noble rot, and historically has been called Botryotinia cinerea. The sexual stage has been called Botryotinia fuckeliana. Now that we know they are just two stages in the life of the same organism, modern science appears to be using B. fuckeliana as the species name. The term "botrytis cinerea" applies to the vine disease grey rot, which under the correct conditions can be noble rot.

Amusing that the winemaker used this to sneak a rude-sounding name onto the label. I wonder if he'll work in the German word Himmelfarts next?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:47 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
TomHill wrote:On the back label, it stated that Botryotinia Fuckeliana is the spore that is responsible for botrytis cinerea, the noble rot, that creates such great dessert wines.
My immediate reaction is this is just the irreverent ChesterOsbourne jerking us around, managing to get a lewd term on his label and thumbing his nose at the labeling regulatory authorities.

Most fungi have both an asexual stage and a sexual stage in their life cycles. These often appear very different, and so before modern Biology got the life cycles of fungi sorted out the two stages often were thought to be separate species. That is what we see here. The asexual stage of the fungus is the one responsible for noble rot, and historically has been called Botryotinia cinerea. The sexual stage has been called Botryotinia fuckeliana. Now that we know they are just two stages in the life of the same organism, modern science appears to be using B. fuckeliana as the species name. The term "botrytis cinerea" applies to the vine disease grey rot, which under the correct conditions can be noble rot.
Amusing that the winemaker used this to sneak a rude-sounding name onto the label. I wonder if he'll work in the German word Himmelfarts next?
-Paul W.

Thanks for the education, Paul. I'm always jazzed by when we can turn a wine discussion into one about sex!! :-)

I'm sure when ChesterOsbourne uncovered this factoid on Fuckeliana, it immediately jumped into his mind how could he go about using it
to get the name on the label.
Tom