The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: wines on patio & lawn- Corsica, Sicily, and non-island

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: wines on patio & lawn- Corsica, Sicily, and non-island

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 pm

No wines Sunday - life’s too short for whatever they pour on Delta. I had left some wines for Dave and his girlfriend while we were gone, there was most of a bottle of 2012 Poderi Foglia Aglianico (Roccamonfina) left. Didn’t seem oxidized on Monday (I think he opened Sunday) but but it was neither very attractive nor very Aglianico-ish- soft, plummy, low acid, low tannin, short. C+/C

Dinner was duck over sauteed purslane/grapes/kale, with the 2011 Ch. des Jacques (Jadot) Moulin-a-Vent. Pretty unexpressive at first, but opens nicely over the evening - very full, more like Cote d’Or PN than Gamay, black cherries, coffee, earth. Some oak but not intrusive. B+

Betsy and her sister spent Tuesday at beach so I was in charge of dinner, based on what was in fridge and special at market decided to do Portugese style sausage and clams, but with corn. Cooking wine was the 2012 Ca’Rugate “Monte Fiorentine” Soave Classico. Fresh and crisp, floral, good wine for $13. B

Dinner wine was the 2012 Abbatuci “Faustine” rose. Fuller style of rose, rocks and herbs, strawberries, very good. Not the usual one season rose. B+

Wednesday was a picnic at Estherwood while we listened to the Ed Cherry Trio. Betsy made pasta with green puttanesca (green garlic, green olives, capers, spinach, basil), we grilled some asparagus, and carried some watermelon and leftover duck. We met up with friends armed with gaucamole, chips, cheese, crackers, cider, and wine.

2012 Graci Etna Bianco
Full, round, peach and tropical fruit. Bigger and riper than I expected, but nicely balanced. B+

2013 Chermette/Vissoux “Griottes” Beaujolais rose
Very light, fresh, easy. B/B-

2011 Chateau La Canorgue (Luberon)
Rhone-ish, black raspberry and plum, a little smoke, a little bacon. B/B+

2009 Monte Antico

Soft, fleshy, forgettable Tuscan. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: wines on patio & lawn- Corsica, Sicily, and non-island

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:02 pm

It's been a good summer for al fresco dining.
Decisions are made by those who show up