The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Greek Whites

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: Greek Whites

by Ryan M » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:19 pm

My Ph.D. advisor, who is Greek American (born there, raised here), wanted to share some Greek wines while I was in Indiana at the end of June. All I have to say is that based on these wines, there is a good reason why Greek whites in particular have started getting a lot of attention and praise.

Alpha Estate, Axia, Malagouzia, Florina 2011
Exceptional, deep nose, with rich citrus/orange rind, fresh apples, raspberry, nectarine, nuts, and mineral. Indentical notes on the palate, full bodied, with a driving vein of orangey acidity. Rather like an excellent Chablis. Remarkable! Another 5 years easy, possibly a lot more. 3.5 Stars. [6/23/14]

Domaine Sigalas, Assyrtiko, Santorini 2013
Wonderful nose of grapefruit and orchard fruit, with wonderful floral notes, volcanic smokey/earthy mineral notes, and wood smoke. Similar notes on the palate, with wonderful, fresh orchard fruit and guava supported by a vein of grapefruit. Full and rich. Not unlike Sauv Blanc in some ways and Riesling in others. 5 more years. 4 Stars [6/23/14]

Domaine Sigalas, "Barrel," Santorini 2011
This is almost certainly Assyrtiko, but is not indetified as such. Exceptional nose: prominent oak marries perfectly with smokey volcanic mineral, aromatic citrus rind/floral notes, sweet orchard fruit, and guava. Identical notes on the palate, with almost tobacco leaf like notes. Big and penetrating, with wonderful texture. Another 5 years, perhaps longer. 3.5 Stars. [6/23/14]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Greek Whites

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:27 pm

2 visits to Santorini in the late 90s just when folks were starting to take notice.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: Greek Whites

by Jon Leifer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 pm

+1 re the 2013 Sigalas Assyrtiko Santorini..a delightful wine..Our oldest daughter did a term abroad in Greece and is enamored of all things Greek when it comes to food and wine so I have been drinking and enjoying Greek wines for a few years now
Jon