The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Portuguese Reds

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: Portuguese Reds

by Ryan M » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:15 pm

I put on a tasting of Portuguese reds for my tasting group back on May 17. This is the first time I've tasted multiple Portuguese regions side-by-side, and was somewhat uncharted territory. So, what did I learn? Firstly, that the Portuguese wines are more coherently similar from region to region than I previously thought, and secondly, that each region that I've had before has the ability to defy my expectations.

Carmim, Reguengos, Alentejo 2012
40% Trincadeira, 40% Aragonez (Tempranillo), 20% Castelao. Lovely nose of rasberry, dark juicy berries, earthy milk chocolate, flowers, and orange rind. Same notes on the palate, plus damson. Lovely and aromatic, juicy, with good body, pressence, and tone. Delightful! 3 Stars [5/17/14]

Caves Vehlas, Cabeca de Toiro, Reserva, Tejo 2008
50% Touriga Nacional, 50% Castelao. Excellent nose, deep and minerally, with dark, tarry, firm blackberry, chocolate, dried roses, and tangerine rind. Similar notes on the palate. Dark, penetrating, and a bit spirity, but with orangey acidity and some floral aromatics providing lift. Good potential, with 5 to maybe 10 years ahead. 3 Stars [5/17/14]

Quinta de Saes, Dao 2009
40% Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo), 60% Touriga Nacional & Alfocheiro. Wonderful nose of dark, juicy fruit, with orange rind, floral notes, and cocoa powder. Wonderful on the palate as well, with juicy red fruit, blackberry, cocoa, saddle leather (Tempranillo's influence), and fruity peppercorn. Succulent, with nice tone and good presence. Elegantly rustic in character. Outstanding value. 3.5 Stars [5/17/14]

Dow, Vale do Bomfim, Douro 2011
50% Tinta Barroca, 20% Touriga Nacional, 15% Touriga Franca, 15% Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo). Excellent nose of blackberry, blueberry, chocolate, peppercorn, leather, and a hint of tar. Nice, succulent red fruit on the palate, with juicy dark berries and citrus rind. The fruit has a slightly sweet edge to it. Nice, but a bit disappointing for the price. Has upside potential for the next 5 to 10 years. 2.5 Stars [5/17/14]

Quinta do Noval, Late Bottled Vintage Port, Porto 2003
Excellent nose, with lots of dried fig, blackberry, blueberry, orange rind, tar/chocolate, peppercorn, dried flowers, and saddle leather. Delightfully rich and dense on the palate, with lots of dried fruit, and orange rind provide contrast and lift. Some cumin too perhaps. This has clearly mellowed but still has a bit of grip. I like it a lot. 5 more years. 3.5 Stars [5/17/14]

This one was originally supposed to be included, but less people than expected were able to come, so I had it myself the next day.

Bons Ventos, Vihno Regional Lisboa 2011
50% Castelao, 20% Camarate, 15% Tinta Miuda, 15% Touriga Nacional. Dense black cherry and blueberry, with juicy plum, a touch of plum tomato and citrusy acidity providing tone, dusty earth, and chalky tannin. Medium full bodied, lush and sweet in personality, but with some nice underpinnings. 2 Stars. [5/18/14]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Portuguese Reds

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 pm

I have posted a few Alentejo notes here in the past. Good wines and usually a good price too.