The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: More 05 Beaujolais, Karthauserhof, 99 Muscadet, Evesham Wood, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: More 05 Beaujolais, Karthauserhof, 99 Muscadet, Evesham Wood, etc

by Marc D » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:02 pm

2005 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Kabinett
Spritzy on opening. Apple and slate aromas, the sweet fruit dominates the structure right now but on the 2nd day the wine seems crisp and more balanced, and I think bodes well for the future. Very fine and pure. I'm glad to own some of the '04 Karthauserhoff Kabinett which has less baby fat and is more fun to drink right now.

2005 Hubert LaPierre Moulin-à-Vent Vieilles Vignes
Vinous and fresh gamey fruit, very good body and structure, almost Burgundian, complex and layered with hints of earth, black fruits and good acidity. This is ripe but not overdone. Benefits from an hour or two of air, and a candidate to cellar. I ordered more of this one.

2005 Domaine Robert Perroud Côte de Brouilly "La Fournaise du Perou" Vieilles Vignes
Restrained nose of spiced cherry, a hint of bread dough, very silky, seemless palate. It has lively acidity and some tannins, but everything meshes together so well that nothing sticks out. Really a joy in the mouth. Should improve over the short term but very enjoyable now, I ordered more of this one too.

2005 Domaine Robert Perroud Côte de Brouilly "La Fournaise du Perou" Vieilles Vignes
2nd bottle was consistent with the first and delicious. A little more fruit shows up when served at cellar temp.

1999 Château de la Ragotière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie 1er Cru
This apparently spends 31 months aging on lees, which gives the wine a lot of complexity. This started out very interesting with a layered nose of apricot, an oxidized note of nuts, some other tropical fruit, and a lively palate that was rich but with good acidity and minerals. Long persistent finish. The first glass was the best, though. As the wine opened, a prominent new oak vanilla marshmallow flavor developed, which was annoying.

2003 Frank Peillot Roussette du Bugey Altesse de Montagnieu
Lush forward fruity nose, quince paste and even some pineapple, with acacia flowers following. Rich palate with a lot of dry extract that is held together by a streak of acidity. Lots of minerals, chalky finish. This is drinking very well now. I think one of the most successful '03 whites I've tried. Great with grilled scallops.

2004 Evesham Wood Pinot Noir Eola Cuvée
This started out a little soft and sweet initially, but became more complex with firmer acidity with air. There is some oak spice together with good pinot red berry fruit. Easy drinker, but with some aging potential, especially if the oak integrates a bit. Good value for $17.

Cheers,
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: More 05 Beaujolais, Karthauserhof, 99 Muscadet, Evesham Wood, etc

by Redwinger » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Marc D wrote:1999 Château de la Ragotière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie 1er Cru
As the wine opened, a prominent new oak vanilla marshmallow flavor developed

I hate it when that happens to my Muscadet. Annoying indeed!
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: More 05 Beaujolais, Karthauserhof, 99 Muscadet, Evesham Wood, etc

by Marc D » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:46 pm

It seems like it was a very ambitous wine with 31 months aging on the lees, very ripe fruit, and (probably from the taste), barrique aging as well.

While this was no typical muscadet, I loved the first glass as it had so much going on. The oak really took over after 40 minutes or so. Sigh.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: '04 Cht de la Ragotiere, 1st Cru

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:41 pm

We were in Palm Beach this past weekend and picked up a bottle of their '04 "Black Label" 1st Cru ($14) and it was stunning. We drank it over the next 3 days with continued improvement. Didn't pick up any oak at all. Hope to find some here (I'm in South Carolina). Thank for reminding me about this find.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:10 am

Richard Fadeley wrote:We were in Palm Beach this past weekend and picked up a bottle of their '04 "Black Label" 1st Cru ($14) and it was stunning. We drank it over the next 3 days with continued improvement. Didn't pick up any oak at all. Hope to find some here (I'm in South Carolina). Thank for reminding me about this find.

This bottle had a white label with a big M on it. I will look for the black label to try.

4 years ago I was living in Aiken, SC. I miss the low country right about now as we are in the middle of our 9 month rain (and wind tonight) festival here in the Northwest. Playing golf in short sleeves in December wasn't too hard too take, but those summers were tough.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:41 am

Marc, I guess you and Jenise are having some rough weather right now--according to the news.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:48 pm

Yep, ugly weather. Lots of trees down, gale winds. The barometer at our home dropped from 29.7 to 28.8 in a few hours. Our power was out only for an hour. It was probably worse for Jenise, she lives right on the water. I would guess they have no electricity there.
Marc Davis