The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New AVAs in SoCal, North Carolina

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

New AVAs in SoCal, North Carolina

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:33 pm

TTB Establishes the Upper Hiwassee Highlands and Malibu Coast
Viticultural Areas

On Friday, July 18, 2014, the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau published
two final rules in Federal Register establishing two new American viticultural areas. The
final rules and the viticultural areas they concern are:

• T.D. TTB–120, Establishment of the Upper Hiwassee Highlands Viticultural Area,
which establishes the approximately 690-square mile “Upper Hiwassee Highlands”
viticultural area in Cherokee and Clay Counties, North Carolina, and Towns, Union, and
Fannin Counties, Georgia. The viticultural area does not lie within or contain any other
established viticultural area. All relevant rulemaking documents and public comments
concerning this viticultural area are posted at the Regulations.gov website in Docket No.
TTB–2013–0008.

• T.D. TTB–121, Establishment of the Malibu Coast Viticultural Area, which
establishes the approximately 44,590-acre “Malibu Coast” viticultural area in portions of
Los Angeles and Ventura Counties in California. This viticultural area includes the
smaller, established Saddle Rock–Malibu and Malibu–Newton Canyon viticultural areas.
All relevant rulemaking documents and public comments concerning this viticultural
area are posted at the Regulations.gov website in Docket No. TTB–2013–0007.

Both final rules are effective on August 18, 2014.

http://www.ttb.gov/announcements/establ ... ltural.pdf
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: New AVAs in SoCal, North Carolina

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Ooh...ooh...can't wait for those wines... :twisted:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Ooh...ooh...can't wait for those wines... :twisted:

Believe it or not I've tasted a couple of cabs from the "Malibu" AVA and they were pretty good. Now are they worth the price asked? That's a different kettle of fish. I've lived the majority of my adult life in SO. CA. and the very temperate clime of Malibu producing decent wine grapes really doesn't surprise me. Did a great amount of skin diving in that area in my youth. The natives raised hell with us even then. The 1% against the commoners. :roll:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:05 pm

I'd buy a wine from the Hiwassee Highlands just because I kayaked on the Hiwassee 37 years ago (less exciting than Chattooga III/IV, but more relaxing!)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:36 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Ooh...ooh...can't wait for those wines... :twisted:

Believe it or not I've tasted a couple of cabs from the "Malibu" AVA and they were pretty good. Now are they worth the price asked? That's a different kettle of fish. I've lived the majority of my adult life in SO. CA. and the very temperate clime of Malibu producing decent wine grapes really doesn't surprise me. Did a great amount of skin diving in that area in my youth. The natives raised hell with us even then. The 1% against the commoners. :roll:

I was recently impressed with a Rosenthal, I think the name is, merlot. Would love to try others. How many wineries are in that area, anyway?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov