The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Steen, Cali Chard and Syrah, white PN from Rhine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Steen, Cali Chard and Syrah, white PN from Rhine

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:29 am

Local tomatoes and corn are coming in, and lobsters were $5/lb. so we did our favorite lobster salad (the one with corn and tomatoes!). The 2011 G. Breuer “Jeux” Spatburgunder Blanc was very spicy and saline, more rocks than fruit, hint of spritz. Unusual and interesting wine, but not a good match with lobster B

So I opened the 2012 Liquid Farm White Hill Chardonnay (Santa Rita Hills). I think Dave was shocked that I even owned Cali Chards. I had liked this at a store tasting and I liked again this night. Plenty of rocks, but with plenty of fruit and structure as well. Not much apparent oak, little herby note, good length, nice wine. B+/A-

Friday we flew to GA. Dinner at my parents’ was lasagna with a vegetable salad, my dad (definitely not a geek!) opened the 2012 Blue Fin Syrah (California). I guess the best thing is that it is clean- dark berry juice, a bit of sweetness, simple. a touch clipped. This would do well as a BTG offering at an Applebees. C+
Saturday we cooked dinner for my folks. Grilled chicken in a horseradish/honey sauce, braised Chard, rice with mushrooms, and a cold zucchini soup. I had picked up the 2013 Neethlingshof Chenin Blanc (Stellenbosch). Pleasant floral wine, tropical fruit but enough acidity, nothing complicated but a good dinner accompaniment. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Steen, Cali Chard and Syrah, white PN from Rhine

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:38 am

Spatburgunder Blanc, is this sparkling?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Spatburgunder Blanc, is this sparkling?

Doesn't sound like it from his note. Is that the way you've encountered Spatburgunder blanc? A few weeks ago I toodid a double-take when drinking what was essentially a pale rose (still) wine, labelled blanc de noir, from spatburgunder in the Pfalz.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:36 pm

We typically see the still Paul Anheuser Spätburgunder Blanc de Noir 'round these parts from the Nahe--a touch fruity if memory serves . . .
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Spatburgunder Blanc, is this sparkling?

Doesn't sound like it from his note. Is that the way you've encountered Spatburgunder blanc? A few weeks ago I toodid a double-take when drinking what was essentially a pale rose (still) wine, labelled blanc de noir, from spatburgunder in the Pfalz.

HI Rahsaan , in fact I have never come across such a blanc here in Alberta. Doubt very much there is any around, maybe in Calgary though?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:44 pm

I've seen white or pink Spatburgunder in the past that was labeled weissherbst.
Decisions are made by those who show up