The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fritz Haag and ESJ

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Fritz Haag and ESJ

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:39 pm

2005 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Riesling Spatlese
Juicy frosted strawberry spatlese cake that melts in the mouth. Not about weight or sugar. All about the absolutely lovely lace and delicacy.

2005 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese
This is more serious than the above wine, and shows broader, heavier, and more ponderous for the first few days. Eventually there is equilibrium between the juicy ripeness and the poise, and it is fun. But, it’s probably wiser to drink the Brauneberger Juffer now and save this for later.

2002 Edmunds St. John California Syrah “The Shadow”
As you all probably know by now this is fun wine that really benefits from several hours of air, when the minty herbal details and complexity emerge. Plenty of juicy fruit, plenty of tannin structure for moderate aging. Can’t wait to drink the rest of the bottles in the future.

2003 Edmunds St. John Syrah El Dorado County “Wylie-Fenaughty”
This is pretty nice, and goes through several stages. Starts dark and layered, then become bright floral and sweet afterwards. Not a full-on fruit bomb but still has sunny greasy fruits and bright fresh flavors. I should get more.

2001 Edmunds St. John Syrah El Dorado County “Wylie-Fenaughty”
This is more serious than the 03 with deeper warm length that goes on and on. Great intense lush fruit but held in check by tannins although it is the delicate floral notes that get me so excited and really touch my insides. Goes phenomenally well with garlic, beet, carrot, and Basque chevre pizza, and before I know it the bottle is gone. I got more.

2001 Edmunds St. John Bassetti Vineyard San Luis Obispo County Syrah
This is more stern, backwards, and square than the two WFs, although not too backwards to drink and enjoy. A touch of brett but with plenty of pulsating black fruit underneath. For my tastes the 01 WF was showing better at the moment, but then at other moments the reverse may be the case. Such is life with living wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Fritz Haag and ESJ

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:07 am

Rahsaan, they were talking about Shadow on Chat!!!
Question, have you come across Nicos who lives in London? If not , you and he should meet up!! I can email him if you like, he is a youngish CA and big Rhone guy plus others!!!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:12 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Question, have you come across Nicos who lives in London?

Yes, during one of my previous stays I went to several offlines with Nicos, indeed a very fun guy.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:31 am

Rahsaan,

You're drinking a lot of ESJ these days. I've recently recieved shipments including all the wines you tried, as well as the current eidtions of the Pinc Froid and Shell and Bone white, so I am looking forward to repeating your experiments.

Was there any particular context for these wines? A dinner? Did you have the Haags with food, or just sample them on their own? I did not pick up the Brauneberger Juffer, but did get the BJS. I had to draw the line somewhere. (Not that I have been drawign many lines lately. The cellar is groaning.)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:08 am

Rashaan,
Did the 2001 ESJ W-F get any significant air time?
When I sampled it about 6 weeks ago I liked it a lot. At first, it seemed pretty shy/tight but started to open at the 2 hour mark. Unfortunately, the bottle was drained about that time, so I didn't get to monitor any further development.
I picked up a bunch of ESJ yesterday, but your notes suggest a return visit to the store might be in order...good thing the lovely NJ doesn't visit the wine boards. :twisted:
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:50 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Was there any particular context for these wines? A dinner? Did you have the Haags with food, or just sample them on their own? I did not pick up the Brauneberger Juffer, but did get the BJS. I had to draw the line somewhere. (Not that I have been drawign many lines lately. The cellar is groaning.)

I drank all of the wines over the course of separate evenings, 6 hours or so. And the Haags lasted several nights, so all sorts of combinations, these are the conclusions. I'm sure you'll be happy with the BJS down the line, but if you have lots of other stuff to drink you might just go with that for the time being :)

You're drinking a lot of ESJ these days.

Yes, trying to make the most of my time in CA, but I'm leaving for the airport in 15 minutes and may not have any more ESJ for a few months.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:52 pm

Redwinger wrote:Rashaan,
Did the 2001 ESJ W-F get any significant air time?
When I sampled it about 6 weeks ago I liked it a lot. At first, it seemed pretty shy/tight but started to open at the 2 hour mark. Unfortunately, the bottle was drained about that time, so I didn't get to monitor any further development.

Yes, the WF got about 6 hours of air, although it started to hum with about 90 minutes in the decanter and then the bottle got drained pretty rapidly and it was all i could do to save some for later in the evening, perhaps similar to your time line.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Rahsaan,

Have you tried the '05 F Haag Brauneberger Juffer Kabinett? I bought a couple but haven't gotten to them yet.

Thanks for the notes.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:08 am

Marc D wrote:Rahsaan,

Have you tried the '05 F Haag Brauneberger Juffer Kabinett? I bought a couple but haven't gotten to them yet.

Thanks for the notes.

I tasted a bunch of F Haag 05s at Dee Vine and am pretty sure they were pouring the kabinett, but for whatever reason the spatlese stuck in my mind and those were the ones I purchased.

But, should be good.

Let us know.