The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Low sulphur and low pleasure

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Low sulphur and low pleasure

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:41 pm

2007 Pacalet Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru
A science experiment gone bad. Bacterially flawed, cloudy and sure to spawn some new, deviant form of life if given long enough in the glass. Spoiled cider would be a huge improvement.

Yes, it's a bad bottle. It is one of the worst bottles I have ever had the displeasure to experience.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Low sulphur and low pleasure

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:02 am

Not that impressed by the Pacalet I've tried. No seriously flawed bottles like this one, just a lot of "meh" wines.

One of his proteges made a Burgundy that was utterly delicious, but not the master himself. Except for one example of quite wonderful Pommard. :shock:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:15 pm

You haven't seen a really bad bottle until you've seen ropy wine. :shock: I've only encountered that phenomenon once.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:21 pm

ropy wine?

I did have a low sulfur "natural" Moire Valley Gamay that was...undergoing secondary fermentation. :shock: You know, my sister-in-law and myself still finished it! I thought it was actually interesting!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:02 pm

Ropy wine is a bacterial infestation. The bacteria colonies form slimy threads that can be seen in the bottle, and look like strands of rope. Very disgusting.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Uhhhh...

by TomHill » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Ropy wine is a bacterial infestation. The bacteria colonies form slimy threads that can be seen in the bottle, and look like strands of rope. Very disgusting.
-Paul W.

Uhhhhh...rope?? To me, they look like slimy strands of snot...or some other bodily fluid. True..very discusting. Only encountered it 4-5 times over the yrs.
Curious as I am....I could never bring myself to taste 'em....though I have tasted the wine they contained.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Ropy wine is a bacterial infestation. The bacteria colonies form slimy threads that can be seen in the bottle, and look like strands of rope. Very disgusting.

-Paul W.

Gah. That is far worse than a little bit of obvious carbon dioxide.

I did have one bottle of homeless-guy-under-the-bridge (that's what the photo looked like) that tasted strongly of PEANUT BUTTER. I read he had no electricity or tractors on his squat...errr, farm. :shock:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:46 pm

I've only seen one ropy wine in my life, a Zin from a minor winery (not Coturri, surprisingly)

I liked the Pacalet I bought from CSW sale, but I think only bought Gevreys, no Chambolle. Regular pricing is too high but I like the wines. This sounds nasty