The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Musar Rosé 1995

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Musar Rosé 1995

by Saina » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:06 pm

Ch. Musar Rosé 1995 - 12% abv; Bekaa valley, Lebanon.

This is made mostly from the white grapes Merwah and Obaideh and c.5% Cinsault. The Obaideh vineyards are old, planted between 1920 and 1947. Coupled with the high altitude vineyards (c.1400m) there's a combination of concentration from old vines, wonderful acidity presumably because of the high altitude in a region that is generally very hot, and a lovely, pure, ripe but not at all over-done fruit.

IIRC this is made pretty much in the same way as the white (apart from that slight percentage of red grapes) and the whites are pretty much immortal, so perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that a 19yo rosé is still vibrant. Except it isn't just vibrant. It's in its perfect point of drinking: this is one of the few Musars of which I'll say that you don't need to open it hours or days in advance in order to enjoy it. Literally from the first sniff it was perfect. But the best thing is that this is still vibrant, too, so it was just as brilliant on day two open!

Were I served this blind, I would have difficulty differentiating it from the white Musar. And served open, I still have difficulty: this is a pale rosé and the white can be a quite a dark gold. The colour is similar, the smell is similar and the taste is similar. This is a wonderful wine. And I won't be surprised if it were just as brilliant in a decade. Drink and hold.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.