The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2011 Wind Gap Syrah, Sonoma Coast, CA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2011 Wind Gap Syrah, Sonoma Coast, CA

by JC (NC) » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Pax Mahle Wines, Forestville, CA. 11.4% abv. In a NYTimes article, Pax Mahle's Wind Gap Syrah was included among "Rhone-like" California Syrahs. Dark purple wine, almost opaque. Nice first impression. Really loaded with spices. Plummy on the palate along with blackberries and a pine needle scent. Smokiness? Meatiness? Not so sure--more forest pines to my nose. This is a bit puckering either due to tart fruit or tannins. I enjoyed this and don't regret my purchase. I will probably wait a few years before opening the next bottle.
I have limited experience with Northern Rhones but based on that small sampling, I would say that this does taste New World to me. Thoughts of others more familiar with both Wind Gap Syrahs and northern Rhone wines?
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: 2011 Wind Gap Syrah, Sonoma Coast, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:58 pm

I've tasted Wind Gap a couple of times, never got motivated to buy any. Your description is right on the money.
It's clearly Syrah, in that it fits the French Syrah "type" in my mind, which isn't always true of California Syrahs and often not even close with Australian Shiraz.
But wine made from the Syrah grape doesn't have to taste French to appeal to me. (That's also true of other grape varieties.)
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 am

There are many expressions of Northern Rhone. The Wind Gap Sonoma Coast reminds me more of Crozes or St. Joseph than Cote Rotie. That said it is still a California wine, as it should be. The 2011 is higher acid than some prior vintages. Just the nature of the year and growing grapes on the true Sonoma Coast.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:34 am

Wind Gap fits my stylistic preferences....so I was very impresed when I stopped at their tasting room.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach