The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgs, Loire, CA, Marche, and more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Burgs, Loire, CA, Marche, and more

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Monday was grilled chicken with the 2013 Mas de Gourgonnier rose. A little softer than I remember from other years, plump strawberry and cherry, a little herb, solid. B/B-

Tuesday I was in city with the Gonon-heads, but Betsy’s friend joined her for dinner. They were having shrimp and pesto on linguine, so I chilled them a bottle of the 2013 Colle Stefano Verdicchio di Matelica. I tried last glass while we were cooking Wednesday. Quite nice, good QPR. Floral, citrus fruit, a light resinous note. Balanced acids, clean and tasty. B+/B

Wednesday was family dinner, Dave plus Betsy’s sister and family- a seafood salad (clams, squid, scallops) over garden lettuce, fruit salad, etc. Clams were steamed in the 2012 Drouhin “ Laforet” Bourgogne Blanc. Apples, riper than usual, moderate acids, pleasant, straightforward, good value. B-

I served the 2013 Pepiere “Clos des Briords” Muscadet. At first I thought this might be corked, but whatever light mustiness blew off leaving more of a leesy note. Fills out, rich lemony fruit, saline notes, mineral. Another great Briords, if maybe not quite as compelling as the 2012. B+/A-

Thursday a colleague of Betsy’s came to dinner along with her husband and teenage. We started off with canapes (duck rilletes, boar sausage, smoked salmon) and the 2002 Montaudon Brut Champagne. I actually thought I had grabbed a NV Champagne, and would have been happy with this showing for a NV, maybe. This seemed a tad dull and pedestrian for vintage champers, and didn’t have much of a finish. Others liked more than I did. B-

Dinner was chicken breast with mint sauce, a pasta salad, and cole slaw. We tried a couple of wines
2006 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
Black cherry, coffee, smoke. Pretty and elegant, with the ripeness of the vintage and at least balanced acidity. Some tannin, full. B+

1971 Sterling Pinot Noir
OK, this was a pleasant surprise when we had Memorial Day, so decided to try another bottle, since it was Independence Day Eve called for a US wine (I figure ThJ had finished by night of the 3rd). Hmmm, this was a bit funky when opened. Some air time, then a quick sip. Funkiness blown off, but seems a bit thin. Yet it comes on strong with more time, fills out with tart but ripe cranbery and raspberry fruit. Some soy, some smoke, interesting wine with plenty to give. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Burgs, Loire, CA, Marche, and more

by JC (NC) » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Really surprised that a Sterling Pinot Noir that old was drinkable.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:16 pm

That Drouhin Chambolle 1er is such a reliable wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:15 pm

JC, not only was it drinkable Thursday night, I took remaining half bottle to a 4th party last night and blinded the host (a member of my local group) with it. He got Pinot Noir right off bat, but when I asked him to guess age his first guess was 5 years old. Actually showed bigger fruit on night 2 that originally.

David, I agree. I'm a big Drouhin fan, but to me their Chambolles especially show well. The village, this "generic" PC bottling (grapes from 4 1ers where they don't have enough yield to justify individual bottlings), the Amoureuses, Bonnes Mares, and Musigny are all very fine. But I can't afford the Amoureuses and Bonnes Mares anymore (never could afford the Musigny).