The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2012 Garnet Vineyards Pinot Noir, Monterey County, CA

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2012 Garnet Vineyards Pinot Noir, Monterey County, CA

by JC (NC) » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:51 pm

This wine was $14.99 a bottle but I'm not posting it in value wines thread because I have mixed feelings about it. The wine is bottled with a screwcap and the label indicates 14.2% alcohol by volume. Alison Crowe is the winemaker. Label says the producers farm their own vineyards and control the entire winemaking process. The grapes for this wine are from four vineyards in the benchlands of the Santa Lucia Highlands.
The wine is a Burgundy color and semi-opaque. It seems a bit lighter on the nose than on the palate--some blackberries and some wood notes. On the first evening this came across a little heavy-handed and in my face. I had liked it better at a tasting at the wine shop, perhaps after it had aerated for awhile. The second evening this had mellowed considerably overnight, recorked and refrigerated. I'm now liking it better and would raise my mental rating from 83 or 84 to an 86 or 87. It's an inexpensive Pinot Noir that might appeal to fans of cabs, syrahs, and zinfandels. I believe it could take on barbequed meats and other robust meaty dishes.