The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tasting of Kermit Lynch imported wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Tasting of Kermit Lynch imported wines

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:15 am

I didn't take any notes at this tasting yesterday so just very brief musings. It was held at The Wine Shop on Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh. I knew the owner previously from his connection with Bond Street Wines in Charlotte and Raleigh, I also had met the Kermit Lynch representative Thomas Morgan at a wine dinner at Vin Rouge in Durham.
We started with a pleasant Muscadet--2011 Andre-Michael Bregeon Muscadet being offered at $15.29 if purchased at the tasting.
The one I bought was two bottles of 2012 Regis Bouvier "en Montre Cul" lieu dit, a Bourgogne Rouge. The vineyard north of Marsannay is on a steep slope so vineyard workers wearing skirts might reveal whether they have undergarments or not--hence the name which translates to show one's behind. This wine was popular with the couple tasting next to me. It drinks as a light-bodied summery red with nice red fruit and some mineral notes. Normally priced at $29.99, it was available at the tasting for $26.99 or $25.49 per bottle in a six-pack. Not a bad price for a red Burgundy that cannot be labeled as Marsannay because it is beyond the boundaries.
The 2012 Guido Porro "Santa Caterina" Barbera d'Alba, Italy was an attractive wine but probably not typical of Barbera. I asked Mr. Morgan what descriptors he would use for it and he mentioned smoked meat--that clarified for me that it did have a certain smokiness along with raspberry flavors.
We had a Provence red that didn't make much of an impression on me.
I skipped the 2011 Kuentz Bas Blanc, Alsace which was from Pinot Griogio and other grapes.
We finished with a nice 2013 Elvio Tintero "Sori Gramella" Moscato d'Asti, Italy.
After the tasting I dined at Bloomsbury Bistro and stayed overnight in the Triangle area. I had lunch the next day at G2B a "gourmet pub" in Durham and watched the soccer game between USA and Germany.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Tasting of Kermit Lynch imported wines

by Jon Peterson » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:58 am

JC (NC) wrote:The one I bought was two bottles of 2012 Regis Bouvier "en Montre Cul" lieu dit, a Bourgogne Rouge. The vineyard north of Marsannay is on a steep slope so vineyard workers wearing skirts might reveal whether they have undergarments or not--hence the name which translates to show one's behind.

Before even tasting the wonderful liquid, is there a corner of the wide world of wine that isn't interesting?

But seriously, JC, we are going to get some of the Kermit Lynch wines in the shop and I will look into getting this. The selling line has too much potential!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Love that name, JC. And, kind of unusual that a hillside vineyard is only producing a Bourgogne, isn't it.

But fun: Kermit is one of my favorite importers. If I pick up a wine and then see his name on the label, I pretty much buy regardless of any other considerations.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 am

See mention of Moscato. My better half had opened a Jacobs Creek 2014 Moscato 2 weeks ago or so...still singing pretty good last night...really surprised. $10 bottle eh. Not a KL wine of course.