The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Duff-Gordon Sherry Finest Brown Mahogany NV..(short/bor

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Duff-Gordon Sherry Finest Brown Mahogany NV..(short/bor

by TomHill » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Tried this at ArroyoVino Fri night:
1. Duff-Gordon Sherry Finest Brown Mahogany (20%; NoR Emb 207C; NoR Exp 1028) Imported Exclusively by CortiBros/Sacramento NV: Very dark brown near PX color; very intense PX-like/raisened/pruney/grapey/espresso/toffee pudding bit chalky/volatile/alcoholic beautiful/incredible/complex/perfumed nose much like an old Madeira; rather sweet very intense grapey/raisened/pruney/smokey/espresso/PX-like slight smokey/Madeira-like/tangy very complex flavor w/ no signs of oxidation whatsoever; very long/lingering slightly sweet grapey/raisened/pruney/espresso bit tangy/Madeira-like/smokey finish that just goes on & on; an stunning old sherry and one of the best I can recall; words can't do justice to this wine; amazing stuff; alas. last btl. $24.25 (CB)
1. I owe DarrellCorti for my interest in Spanish Sherries when he first started recommending them to me to try in the mid-'70's. This is one I bought around 1978 and have been storing it (standing upright) over the intevening yrs. My recollect of this wine was that this came from an old Solera laid down in the mid-1800's. Darrell convinced the Duff-Gordon folks to btl some cases from this solera exclusively for CortiBros. Darrell has probably the best selection of Sherries (and Ports) in the Nation.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Darrell Sez

by TomHill » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Darrell's comment on this wine:
Thanks for the info on the Mahogany. This was a wine that I found at Duff Gordon in the late 1980s and I asked if it could be had. They said yes, but they wanted to bottle only a small quantity, 5 cases, so that the butt could then be refreshed and the wine kept. This was a "Brown" sherry sold in England in the 1930s and Brown sherry is always a heavily PX influenced wine, also with some vino de color added. I think I still have one or two bottles left somewhere in storage.

When I bought it, it had not been touched since the end of WWII. These wines keep forever. They throw a heavy deposit, usually attached to the bottle, but need nothing except a respectful palate to be enjoyed.