The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SBR: "Best White Wine On Earth" by StuartPigott

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SBR: "Best White Wine On Earth" by StuartPigott

by TomHill » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Just received my copy of this new book: The Riesling Story: Best White Wine On Earth by StuartPigott. $28.00
I started to just thumb thru it and, afore I knew it, I'd spent over an hour hop-scotching around the book.
For anyone interested in Riesling, StuartPigott is probably the go-to guy for information about those wines.
StuartPigottBlog

The book has a chapter on the basics of the Riesling grape, then proceeds in the next 5 Chapters to travel around the World of Riesling. I expected the book to focus mostly on German Riesling. But he's pretty democratic in his coverage of the World. Even a chapter extolling the virtues of Riesling in Italy & Eastern Europe.

His opening statement: "This story begins with the simple observation that if you remove the prejudices, then Riesling tastes better than other white wines" tells you where his passions lie.

Scattered throughout the book are "First Base" highlights..several paragraphs of interesting facts on Riesling pertinent to the Chapter/Region being discussed.
He finishes up w/ the usual lists of Rieslings he particularly likes.
I was impressed...even included GrahamTatomer in his coverage.
The book is packed w/ facts.. but his irrevent writing style keeps you engaged and is not a dry recitation of Riesling facts.

Anyway...if you have any interest in Riesling (does anybody not??), this looks to be your book.
Tom
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: SBR: "Best White Wine On Earth" by StuartPigott

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Tom.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:50 am

TomHill wrote:His opening statement: "This story begins with the simple observation that if you remove the prejudices, then Riesling tastes better than other white wines" tells you where his passions lie.

Yes, a real objective guy!

Sounds like a nice book though.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks so much for the recommendation! This looks like a must add to our library.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

UpDate

by TomHill » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Little over half way thru the book now.
The first Chaptre on Basics of Riesling was not nearly as an informative a read as I was expecting & didn't learn all that much from it.
But the first three chapters on Riesling regions have been outstanding reads. Talks about a lot of producers I've never heard of. Clearly, he gives an even-handed focus on Riesling regions, in fact maybe a bit of short shrift to Germany.

The enthuusiasm & passion with which he writes about some of the producers makes me want to go out and track down some of these wines..something that never happens when I read the WA, I must say.

One of the factoids I learned: I've always be puzzled by the often shrill acidity of the Oz rieslings. My impression is that their growing regions can be pretty warm.. even in Riesling hotbeds like Clare & Eden Vllys. He attributes these screaming acidities to the fact that Riesling is a very heat-sensitive variety and when the temps reach 90F, the vines just totally shut down...which halts the sugar buildup and preserves the acidities.

Another is that the success of Oz w/ Riesling only dates back to the early 1960's. News to me.

Anyway, if you're interested in Riesling; this book is an outstanding read.
Tom