The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Winery Visit-Wind Gap at The Barlow

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Winery Visit-Wind Gap at The Barlow

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:02 pm

So there is a new hipster-upscale-artianal-agri-industrial complex next to downtown Sebatapol called The Barlow. Several wineries, coffee roastery, some distilleries. Pretty well done, actually! Emphasis on local and unique food and drink. And, the place is right near the West County Bicycle Path (Joe Rodata Trail), which connects Sebastapol and Santa Rosa.

http://thebarlow.net/

Worth a visit if you are in Western Sonoma County!

Anyway....WIND GAP now has a tasting room there! I tried two whites, including a Trousseau Gris that was laser sharp, saline, and right up my alley! The Pinot was still primary, being a 2012, but it was also "laser sharp" with pure red fruit and a minerality I really like! The grenache was nice, but didn't taste much like standard Grenache :shock:

They had three Syrahs available from different sites, and while sharing a family resemblance, each was unique. Again, he seems to emphasize lower alcohol, acid balance, and red fruit. Plum skin and licorice. The 2008 was a litte richer but also showed some nice bottle age just beginning to peak out.

I was really impressed! The tasting is almost Napa level pricing, but the pours are pretty generous, and these are elegant, pretty wines. A worthy discovery during a nice Sonoma County bicycle ride!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:01 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:So there is a new hipster-upscale-artisanal-agri-industrial complex next to downtown Sebatapol called The Barlow. Several wineries, coffee roastery, some distilleries. Pretty well done, actually! Emphasis on local and unique food and drink. And, the place is right near the West County Bicycle Path (Joe Rodata Trail), which connects Sebastapol and Santa Rosa.
http://thebarlow.net/
Worth a visit if you are in Western Sonoma County!

Anyway....WIND GAP now has a tasting room there! I tried two whites, including a Trousseau Gris that was laser sharp, saline, and right up my alley! The Pinot was still primary, being a 2012, but it was also "laser sharp" with pure red fruit and a minerality I really like! The grenache was nice, but didn't taste much like standard Grenache :shock:

They had three Syrahs available from different sites, and while sharing a family resemblance, each was unique. Again, he seems to emphasize lower alcohol, acid balance, and red fruit. Plum skin and licorice. The 2008 was a litte richer but also showed some nice bottle age just beginning to peak out.

I was really impressed! The tasting is almost Napa level pricing, but the pours are pretty generous, and these are elegant, pretty wines. A worthy discovery during a nice Sonoma County bicycle ride!

Yup...I visited TheBarlow back in March. Much as you describe it...which is clearly why I fit right in. WindGap wasn't there yet, but did taste at LaFollette.
Had dinner that night there at ZaZu...terrific meal, it was.

Strikes me as a place you could leave your bike outside the tasting room door and find it still there when you came back out!!! :-) Sorry...couldn't resist..cheap shot, I know.
So...whatcha riding these days, Brian??
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Winery Visit-Wind Gap at The Barlow

by John Treder » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:20 pm

And K & L Bistro just down the street on The Main Drag is as good and different from Zazu. Couple of other pretty good places in Sebastopol, too. :-)
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:30 pm

John Treder wrote:And K & L Bistro just down the street on The Main Drag is as good and different from Zazu. Couple of other pretty good places in Sebastopol, too. :-)

Yup....another one of my favorites, John.
Tom
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:48 pm

GMTA, Tom!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:58 pm

The Barlow area is where West of West Festival was held last year and will be held again this year. (In 2012 it was in Occidental.)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Yup...

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:45 am

TomHill wrote:
Yup...I visited TheBarlow back in March. Much as you describe it...which is clearly why I fit right in. WindGap wasn't there yet, but did taste at LaFollette.
Had dinner that night there at ZaZu...terrific meal, it was.

Strikes me as a place you could leave your bike outside the tasting room door and find it still there when you came back out!!! :-) Sorry...couldn't resist..cheap shot, I know.
So...whatcha riding these days, Brian??
Tom

Oof. :(

Saw La Follette, too. But, as I said, the Wind Gap pours were generous and I needed to pace myself!

Next time!

I am riding a FELT F1. Paying for it on layaway (no credit cards for me :? ) but the shop owner lets me borrow it whenever I want. Abut 2/3 paid for at this point (had some major bills last month that delayed things) It was Duke (the shop owner) project bike. Nice bike!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach