The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Musar Quality Control

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Musar Quality Control

by Saina » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 am

I recently received a shipment of Musar. It was mostly white, which was nice. But feeling a bit parched because of Alko's lack of anything nice I did have to open one of each. Just for quality control, you see.

Ch. Musar Blanc 1996
A slightly risky purchase since the provenance wasn't the best possible: these were recalled by MusarUK and then released again. And, indeed, it tastes older than another bottle I recently tried. But I like old white Musar so that's not so much a problem. I just now know to drink my others from this batch relatively quickly instead of storing them for decades.

Gold colour. It smells of copper kettles, honey and old Champagne. It is rich but dry. The beginning of the palate is fleshy but it becomes firms and more obviously acidic toward the end.

The '59 and '75 taste more fresh now, but this still held up well with about a day's decanting. So it's not the best bottle, but it was a hugely enjoyable one.

If you have pristine bottles: hold. A good bottle from a different source I had a couple months ago was still very young and unevolved. I think I'll be drinking my other bottles soon, however.

Ch. Musar Blanc 1998
Double decanted about a day in advance. Lovely orange colour. 16yo but that is still very young for a white Musar so 24h of air was the best option. Lovely apricot aromas; rich, almost oily sensations on the palate, yet better acidity than most white Musars. Closest clone to a LdH white Rioja that I know of. Awesome wine. Though nice now with huge amounts of air, ideally one should hold.

Ch. Musar Blanc 2001
Lovely wine. Relatively big and ripe for a white Musar but with all the typical aromatics and sensations. Oxidative, honeyed fruit and a bit of a white Rioja / white Rhône feeling about it. This bottle was double decanted 12h before enjoying the first sip; and finished two days later. Air is only good for these. At the 2,5 day mark it was at its best. Obviously these will age brilliantly well, but if opening now (and why not? it's lovely now!) double decant it a day or two in advance.

Ch. Musar Rouge 1999
Double decanted very early in the morning; drunk c.15h later. Fantastic. Sweet, ripe, sunny, slightly funky and just incredibly beautiful. Rich fruit on the palate but also wonderful acidity. All the fruit sensations are primary so I really should say that if you have any, cellar them. But on the other hand, no wine that gives this much pleasure should be forgotten in a cool, humid place. If you have more than a couple bottles and if you don't mind sensations of primary fruit, then my advice is to open one now, decant it for a long time and enjoy one of the most thrilling wines ever made. Seriously: are wines this tasty allowed to be made?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: WTN: Musar Quality Control

by Jay Labrador » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks for the notes. I still have a couple of '99 reds and '98 whites so that's good news. Better yet, Musar will finally be available in Manila later this year as my friend will be importing it.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Hello Otto, thanks for the report(s) on the white especially. I think I might still have a few bottles of the 96 and the 98 white Musar, but am not certain. I'll take a look in the wine cabinet. I just ordered (for October delivery) 6 bottle of the 2007 Musar rouge at $52.99 per. have you had that vintage? When do you think it should be ready? It's always good to read your postings.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:53 am

I am a big fan of the 1999 Musar.

Nice thought that it will be better someday than it already is.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Hello Otto, thanks for the report(s) on the white especially. I think I might still have a few bottles of the 96 and the 98 white Musar, but am not certain. I'll take a look in the wine cabinet. I just ordered (for October delivery) 6 bottle of the 2007 Musar rouge at $52.99 per. have you had that vintage? When do you think it should be ready? It's always good to read your postings.

I haven't had anything younger than the 2005. :( If it's up to its usual tricks I expect it will be a wonderful wine for about a year (if you don't mind primary fruit flavors) and then it should shut down for at least a decade. But it's hard to say. The shut down phase never seems to have happened to the 1999 for example. If you've got six, I do suggest you try one now. I think young Musar just after release is fantastic fun. Decant one half a day before drinking. Then forget the rest for a decade+ is what I'd do.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:55 pm

Otto wrote:I haven't had anything younger than the 2005. :( If it's up to its usual tricks I expect it will be a wonderful wine for about a year (if you don't mind primary fruit flavors) and then it should shut down for at least a decade. But it's hard to say. The shut down phase never seems to have happened to the 1999 for example. If you've got six, I do suggest you try one now. I think young Musar just after release is fantastic fun. Decant one half a day before drinking. Then forget the rest for a decade+ is what I'd do.

Thanks for the advice Otto. I will attempt to follow it, however there is one small problem, or is it two? First I absolutely refuse to leave this earth with Musar still in the bottle. second, I am 75 (nearly 76) years young. So, I might have to do an emergency drink on any left over bottles when I fell the grim reaper knocking on my door! :lol: :roll:
Bob Henrick