The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Boy do I feel stupid...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Boy do I feel stupid...

by JC (NC) » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:49 pm

I was sipping a Spanish Tempranillo and closed my eyes and swirled to get a better sense of what I was sipping and then opened my eyes to see that I had splashed purple wine on my white knit tank top which I bought about two weeks ago to layer under summery shirts and jackets. The glass was nearly empty and I still manage to splash it on me! I quickly went to the soda water remedy followed by a liquid detergent and we will see what ensues but I am mentally kicking myself. I may have to order another white tank top for layering.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Boy do I feel stupid...

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:55 pm

I feel for you. Got turmeric on a new pair of pants a few weeks ago. Time for another new pair.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:21 pm

There's a product called Wine-Away that works pretty well if you can get it on the fresh stain.
But I'm not a particularly particular person about such things.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:56 am

Whoever thought that white and summer made a perfect match.... :lol:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:07 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I feel for you. Got turmeric on a new pair of pants a few weeks ago. Time for another new pair.

Or you could dye the whole thing with turmeric and join a Buddhist monastery. :D

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:I feel for you. Got turmeric on a new pair of pants a few weeks ago. Time for another new pair.

Or you could dye the whole thing with turmeric and join a Buddhist monastery. :D

-Paul W.

I'm not a fan of butter lamps and chanting.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:18 pm

I was at a party once and a friend handed me one of those over-engineered electric wine openers. The thing pushed the cork downward into the neck of the wine bottle, splashing red wine all over my friend's white dress. :shock: Her husband still talks about it years later!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:31 pm

JC (NC) wrote:I was sipping a Spanish Tempranillo and closed my eyes and swirled to get a better sense of what I was sipping and then opened my eyes to see that I had splashed purple wine on my white knit tank top which I bought about two weeks ago to layer under summery shirts and jackets. The glass was nearly empty and I still manage to splash it on me! I quickly went to the soda water remedy followed by a liquid detergent and we will see what ensues but I am mentally kicking myself. I may have to order another white tank top for layering.

Oxi-Clean, JC, you need Oxi-Clean! Even though you've washed it already and would have been better off going straight to Oxi-Clean, it's still a good second-line defense and will probably rid the stain. Just mix a tablespoon with about a cup of water in a bowl, and stick the stained part in the liquid. If you'd gone to this mix right away, the stain would have been gone in about five minutes. With a stain that's a little more dug-in, it might take an hour or two.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:13 pm

I feel your pain, JC. I've ruined more than a dozen shirts over the years. The likelihood of staining is directly proportional to the cost of the shirt. A decaying wife-beater repels wine while wine jumps out of the glass when in close proximity to a Thomas Dean Polo.

We have tried almost everything to remove red wine stains. The stuff is pretty much impervious to modern stain removal technology.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:19 pm

Sam Platt wrote: The likelihood of staining is directly proportional to the cost of the shirt. A decaying wife-beater repels wine while wine jumps out of the glass when in close proximity to a Thomas Dean Polo.

Just another reason to drink wine neekid.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Sam Platt wrote:I feel your pain, JC. I've ruined more than a dozen shirts over the years. The likelihood of staining is directly proportional to the cost of the shirt. A decaying wife-beater repels wine while wine jumps out of the glass when in close proximity to a Thomas Dean Polo.

We have tried almost everything to remove red wine stains. The stuff is pretty much impervious to modern stain removal technology.

If it weren't for Oxi-Clean, I'd probably only get two wearings max out of any new shirt.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:20 pm

I haven't put it through the washing machine yet. I used the soda water and rubbed some liquid detergent on it and then hung it up to dry. The spots are quite faint now. I do have some Oxi-Clean and will try that next. There is hope for it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:01 pm

JC, detergent is effective on grease and dirt, but a wine stain needs something more. Try Oxi-Clean--I was at a party where a guest tossed a glass of red wine in the air and it made about 40 or so spots all over a white carpet. Fortunately, the hostess had Oxi-Clean on hand. I was able to lift all the stains out, and it probably only took about ten minutes--spooned it on, blotted it out. When the wine's fresh, it comes up in seconds.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:20 am

I do like Wine-Away but the spill has to be very fresh. Oxi-Clean is great if you can't use Wine-Away.
And JC, after several wine dinners with you - you are the polar opposite of stupid.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:47 am

Redwinger wrote:Just another reason to drink wine neekid.

Bill,

I have championed that cause with limited success.

Jenise wrote:If it weren't for Oxi-Clean, I'd probably only get two wearings max out of any new shirt.

Jenise,

I have had good luck with Oxi-Clean when I get it on the stain right away. However, if there is much of a delay a residual stain seems to remain behind.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Redwinger wrote:Just another reason to drink wine neekid.

Bill,

I have championed that cause with limited success.

Jenise wrote:If it weren't for Oxi-Clean, I'd probably only get two wearings max out of any new shirt.

Jenise,

I have had good luck with Oxi-Clean when I get it on the stain right away. However, if there is much of a delay a residual stain seems to remain behind.

I've had no problems with dried-on stains, Sam. Half the wine splashes I get on me aren't discovered until the item goes to the wash. Fresh spills disappear almost immediately, old ones take longer soaking time, up to several hours. Proof is that if I get a spot I don't run to the laundry room with it, I don't care if it dries on--I know it will come out.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Count me as another Oxiclean fan (it's great for stems and decanters, too)

I once realized on train to a St Julien tasting that I had on a white broadcloth dress shirt on. Gee, I hope I don't spill anything. Made it through the whole dinner without incident. As I was getting ready to pack up, Arv poured a huge pour of Port in my glass. I was done drinking but raised for a sniff- another friend turned right into my elbow. 3 oz of port right down the front of my shirt. No worries re stains- Oxiclean did me right- but I had to ride home on Metro-North with looking like Mr. Sloppy Drunk.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Count me as another Oxiclean fan (it's great for stems and decanters, too)

I never thought of using it that way, Dale, thanks! I have a decanter and a vase that have become discolored--I used to sometimes throw Efferdent tablets in unintentionally stained glass but Oxi-Clean will be easier.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:48 pm

Something like that happened to me during the Charlotte Wine and Food Weekend only it was with a Manhattan cocktail rather than wine. I wasn't used to drinking out of the very wide-brimmed glass and got careless and spilled it down my top. I had to go back to my hotel reeking of rye whiskey and apologized to the couple in the elevator with me.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Sam Platt wrote: The likelihood of staining is directly proportional to the cost of the shirt. A decaying wife-beater repels wine while wine jumps out of the glass when in close proximity to a Thomas Dean Polo.

Just another reason to drink wine neekid.

Winger does everything naked so his comments really don't count for much! :mrgreen:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.