The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some New Whites...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some New Whites...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 pm

We tasted this week (6/11/14) Some New Whites:
1. Dom. de Tariquet Classic IGP: Cotes de Gascogne (MeBaD; 45% UgniBlanc/35% Colombard/10% Sauvignon/
10% GrosManseng; 10.5%) FammilleGrama/Eauze 2013
: Light gold color; rather appley/pineapple light stony/tinny/
metallic rather simple nose; very/very tart/screechy/grapefruity/tangy/metallic slight stony/earthy/appley
rather painful flavor w/ very little fruit; very acid/searing/screechy/grapefruity some stony/metallic finish;
pleasant/simple enough nose but painfully searing on the palate; off to the distillery for this one. $10.00 (UdW)
blossom/floral light stony/mineral finish; quite a nice brisk/refreshing white but a bit neutral on the palate.
$nc (RP)/$27.00
clover lovely/complex flavor; very long/lingering honeyed/clover/fresh-mown hay some honeyed/nutty/butterscotch
complex finish; showing some honeyed/mead-like/aged complex character; a beautiful/complex SB. $29.00
hay/clover light honeyed complex nose; rather tart/tangy more herbal/cat-pee/SB some stony/mineral new-mown hay/
clover slight mango/pineapple refreshing/lovely flavor; very long/lingering fresh/clean/clover/hay bit herbal/
cat-pee some pungent/funky bit honeyed complex finish; not as honeyed or complex as the '10 and more SB varietal
character. $31.00
floral/melony/mango bit herbal/pungent clean/refreshing/tangy/tart slight honeyed finish; very unlike most Calif
SB and much more Friuli in character; stands up well to the famed Miani. $27.00
seamless/flawless/balanced complex beautiful flavor; very long/lingering honeyed/floral/nutmeg/very spicy/slight
herbal/pungent/insecticide very balanced/seamless textured/ripe/oily finish; very un-SauvignonBlanc but a
beautiful/complex/seamless white that's hard to come up w/ descriptors for; I blanched a bit at the price but
it may be worth it. $68.00 (AV)
stony/mineral some pungent/herbal/SB/pineapple/ripe clean/clover/hay/refreshing finish; a bit simpler than the
others & needs some age; shows more pungent/herbal/classic SB character; lovely SB. $28.00
earthy light floral/dandelion/herbal/stony finish; a bit on the funky side and a bit on the bland/innocuous side
but somewhat interesting and a great buy for a Friuli Sauvignon. $13.00
nose; lightly tart clean/floral/tropical fruit/melony quite perfumed/rose petal/spicy attractive flavor; med.long
bright floral/mango/tropical fruit/melony rather spicy bit tart finish; lots of Timorasso fruit but not much other
stuff; some like a spicy Calif Chard, some like a SBC Riesling; pretty wine. $27.00 (SFW&S)
caramel/butterscotchy/creme brulee/toasted marshmallows/pungent/smoked hot dogs/overripe apples rather complex/
exotic flavor; very long/lingering toasted marshmallows/creme brulee bit burnt very musky/almost muscatty finish;
a beautiful/complex/exotic wine. $37.00 (BWM)
peach/Viog/spicy quite aromatic finish; a lovely Viog and the most Condrieu-like I've had from the Collines; a
bit lacking in structure. $41.25 (Enoteca)
aromatic ripe pear/ripe peach/Viog spicy fairly tart/structured/complex finish; a beautiful perfumed Viog that
blows away any Alban; amazing wine. $42.00
ripe peach/Viog very ripe/porky flavor; med.long soft/fat very strong toasted marshmallow/burnt sugar/creme brulee
some Viog/very ripe peach finish; a very bizarre rendition of a DollyParton Viog slathered w/ melted marshmallows.
$25.00 (Sterbenz mystery)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
13. Tatomer Riesling KickOnRanch/SBC (BA; B33R3N4USL3S3; 10.5%; 60 cs; www.TatomerWines.com; RS: 11.5%; SaH: 30 Brix;
Botrytis affected grapes) Lompoc 2011
: Light gold color; strong pineapple/JR/ripe/mango strong Mosel valve oil/
gout de petrol light botrytis/peach syrup/fruit cocktail very fragrant/perfumed beautiful nose; rather sweet
fairly tart very strong JR/valve oil/petrol intense pineapple/mango/JR ripe light botrytis/peach syrup lovely
flavor; very long/lingering strong valve oil/petrol/JR intense pineapple/mango/fruit cocktail/JR light botrytis/
peachy finish; not very intense botrytis but a beautiful very Germanic Riesling; should age forever; very fairly
priced at $38.00/hlf (DiV)
watery/simple/insipid finish; much like a Muscato d'Asti w/o the bubbles; dull as dishwater.
$18.00/hlf (TotalBev)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
A wee BloodyPulpit:
1. UgniBlanc: This grape (and Colombard) are primarily used for making Cognac & Armagnac. Most of the versions I've
tried from Gascony have been totally uninspiring. This Tariquet was an exception...exceptionally undrinkable.
Ryan & Nicole are the first Calif UgniBlanc that I am aware of. Ryan thought I should try his wine and sent
me a sample for our group to try. He was inspired by the TablasCreek Vermentino to try UgniBlanc. This is,
by far, the best UgniBlanc (or Trebbiano) that I have yet tried. It didn't quite have the aromatics of the
Tablas Vermentino/Rolle but it was a very nice/refreshing summer white that has a nice stony/mineral component.
More than anything, it reminded me of the old Chalone CyrilSaviez NapaVlly FrenchColombard w/o the oak those
usually showed. Maybe more akin to the Carmenet from that vnyd. I think that beautiful old Colombard planting
has been grubbed up for Zinfandel.
highly sought-after, produced in tiny amounts. And expensive, obviously. He and Dan are fairly close friends
and Dan is a big fan of Enzo's wines.
I thought it would be interesting to put Dan's '12 Sauvignon up against the Miani '12. Though I somewhat
preferred the Miani to the Massican...I did notice that the other guy from Friuli flinched.
This is the most Massican sauvignons I've had the privledge to taste at one time. I'm not a particularly
big fan of Calif SauvBlanc and find the Friulian ones fit my taste profile better. They seem to have less of
the overt herbaceous/weedy character of Calif SauvBlanc and much more restrained use of oak. I think the
Massicans, especially if the get a bit of age, fits the Friulian mold better than any other from Calif.
I'd love to see what Dan could do w/ SauvignonMusque and Malvasia d'Istria.
including the famed SutterHome White Nebbiolo. It has the power & texture of a good Chard, but the aromatics
of a good Arneis or Favorita.
The Colombera is a nicely done Timorasso that just showed up here in NM. Nice/smple expression of Timorasso.
The Massa was the most unusual Timorassos I've had of his. It was much different than the one I had at Bergamot
w/ SamBilbro a few months ago. This one seemed much more aged and exotic. Walter thinks Timorasso is a wine
that really needs to be aged. This one would confirm that claim.
that it's hacker notation for "Beerenauslese", a term no longer permited on US labels. Quite clever, I thought.
For a BA, I was expecting a bit more botrytis along the lines of a German BA. But those are often below
20Brix before the botrytis sets in to drive the sugar up to 30Brix. This Tatomer BA was probably in the mid-
20Brix at onset of botrytis, so I expect the amount of botrytis on the grapes was less than it would be for
a German BA. Just speculating, of course. But it is as beautiful a Calif BA as I can recall of late.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Some New Whites...(long/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:51 pm

insecticide....; I blanched a bit at the price but

:lol: :P

In all seriousness, Tom, you find many California Sauvignon Blancs oaky? Most I have tried are stainless/concrete or minimally oaked???? I think the Merry Edwards is the only one I can remember being definitely oaked (successfully in her case).
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well...

by TomHill » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
insecticide....; I blanched a bit at the price but

:lol: :P

In all seriousness, Tom, you find many California Sauvignon Blancs oaky? Most I have tried are stainless/concrete or minimally oaked???? I think the Merry Edwards is the only one I can remember being definitely oaked (successfully in her case).

Well, Brian....I don't taste very comprehensively Calif SauvBlancs. DryCreekVnyds/Ojai/MerryEdwards/Brandner mostly. They don't seem as oaked
as they used to be, though.
Tom