The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Moreau Tempier Reynvaan Flora Springs Turley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Moreau Tempier Reynvaan Flora Springs Turley

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:31 pm

Monthly blind tasting lunch notes:

2012 Dom. Tempier Bandol (blanc) – very surprised to see this as it never seems to make it into our market at all. Went all around the place trying to think what it could be – pale yellow colour, stone fruit and slight grassy note and a fairly dry nutty finish. Good. Clairette, Ugni Blanc and Grenache blanc.

2012 Moreau Le Clos Chablis Grand Cru – some colour, classic nose with slightly riper than usual notes, lots of mineral and citrus, good body, crisp finish.

2006 Dauvissat Camus Chablis 1er cru La Forest – bit more colour and an interesting nose with ripe and toasty notes, smooth on palate and clean finish.

2009 Reynvaan Syrah ‘In the Rocks’ Vineyard – this is another one we never see, from Washington State. Pretty inky colour, with an obviously syrah nose, but lifted somewhat, no doubt by the added Viognier. Well balanced wine with good flavour intensity. I definitely got the impression that it was very early days yet for this one, but it drinks so well now it might be hard fro those with less fortitude than I to keep their hands of it!

2001 Fontodi Chianti Classico – a complete turnabout switch to this wine. Red fruit and earthiness in this nose, and a good clean acidic backbone. At peak now.

2004 Boudreaux Cabernet Sauvignon – no, not ‘Bordeaux’, Boudreaux – winemaker from Louisiana making wine near Leavenworth Washington, home of the local German subculture – very cosmopolitan. The nose was a bit musty and indeterminate in origin and I found it pretty hard to identify this as a cabernet, which is never a good thing. Bit hot and ripe, cherry in the nose, not my cup of plonk, but OK.

1999 Dom. Tempier Bandol La Migoua – we rarely see this Bandol producer at our lunches, although I have been sneaking out my stash of early 1990s vintages over the years, and what were the odds of two people independently bringing two bottles at the same lunch, much less in the same year? I have tasted these wines quite a bit and am used to a Mourvedre funkiness to the nose in early and middle age, but this one defied that and showed an almost Bordeaux nose! A bit of garrigue did creep in after airing and the wine showed good concentration, with lots of soft tannin and good length. No rush. Much better than the faded 1993 vintage I brought to the previous event.

1991 Flora Springs Trilogy – from my cellar, this claret blend from this St. Helena winery was merlot, cab and cab franc back then (they’ve since added other Bordeaux varietals). Medium colour, big sweet red fruit nose, soft tannin, may be drying at the end a bit – getting along and perhaps better a few years ago, but still presentable.

1997 Turley Zinfandel Black Sears Vd. – had this in the cellar, one of the top scores RP ever gave a Turley (ranged between 96 and 99 depending on when you looked) which didn’t necessarily bode well as I prefer the Turleys that are not in-your-face enough to garner big Bobpoints, but figured what the heck, might as well pop it. Hot nose (17% alcohol) and very ripe, with massive blackberry/blueberry notes, tons of fruit (can’t understand notes I’ve seen about this wine losing fruit – this bottle sure hadn’t). Not my style of wine, more a ‘shock and awe’ style that appeals to a lot of new wine fanciers that are not yet (and may never be) into subtlety. I’d asked for it to be served last and indeed it did go well with cheese.

2006 Luna di Luna Luna Vineyard Mille Baci Pinot Grigio – this Napa winery produced this botrytized PG – started at 38% RS ended at 15% and gives a bouquet with significant ripeness. Medium amber, sweet in the mouth and not much flavour differentiation, but balanced and pleasant.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Moreau Tempier Reynvaan Flora Springs Turley

by Jenise » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Bill, I agree with your notes straight down the line. But of course, some extra comments.

Re the Reynvaan, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I brought it to show the group, of course, but I mostly had you in mind because I know you've made some forays into WA syrah with Bunnell and a few others, and I think this shows WA's potential on a whole 'nother level. although there aren't enough vintages behind us to know what 'typical' is, and it's possible that between not-neccessarily reliable younger vines and the evolving relationship between winemaker (same as Cayuse, Christophe Baron) and the Reynvaan family who are running things hands-on, not to mention the fact that all three commercial vintages thus far*, I'm guessing that the 09 In The Rocks is pretty atypical in being so generously open right now (an Unnamed did not similarly reward me) without a bunch of baby fat. And I'm actually pretty glad about it--it's certainly why I risked opening a bottle so young at a Gav lunch! Too, it has served to re-affirm my commitment to vintages 10 and 12. Between on-hand and futures, I have about three cases. Oh, and I've ordered the '12 cabernet, too.

Re the Tempier blanc, it never makes it into our market either. Kermit Lynch only got 50 cases and most of it stayed in NY, though somehow the restaurauteur I convinced to sell me this one got a whole case. It's the only bottle I've ever seen.

Re the Boudreaux, I didn't care for it either, and was shocked by how that showed. A few years ago it was a model of restraint and cool-vintage dynamics. Now? Blowsy and almost vulgar. Kind of like Shelly Winters at two different stages of her career. :)

And the Turley: I hope you don't have many more, they're fairly hard to drink! And what a bitch to store those bottles. I opened my last just two weeks ago, inspired because I was looking through bottles of zin for some other occasion. Merely touching the bottle as I attempted to move it aside caused an avalanche out of the bin it was kept in, and that wasn't the first time. I took that as a sign that it wanted to leave so I took TWO zins to that occasion (a Ridge Pagani Ranch to stave off questions about my sanity). I don't think I've ever been happier to see a bottle go away!
*08, 09 and 10 which I know of and own, and I'm already in for 12's which haven't been released yet; never saw an 11 and I wonder if in fact they made any 11--it was so bad a vintage in this state that the Reynvaans might have opted out rather than dilute impressions re Reynvaan quality, a wise move if one has big aspirations and can afford it
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Interesting notes. Tempier disappeared entirely from my market for a while. Started slowly creeping back in with 2006, then 2007. Then a gap until I had better access with 2011. Going to be a bit of a wait to drink any of those. I have enough 2011 that I might sneak an early bottle.

Late '90s Turley is huge and often undrinkable. Recent vintages of Turley are much more drinkable. There are still a few monsters, but in general the hit rate is much better.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:38 pm

No more of that particular Turley in my cellar - they only brought in a case or two and it was snapped up at one bottle per person allocation even at the $70 it costs here. I just bought it future tastings. I have some PS from those years but not sure if or when it will be ready to drink. And some of the other zins, which rarely hold colour like that one did, that I should be pulling in the garden with roast beast this summer, if my international friends ever muster enough gumption to brave the bocce field of battle..... :mrgreen: