The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

An interesting study on taste perception in the NYT

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

An interesting study on taste perception in the NYT

by Randy Buckner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:41 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/health/12beer.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin

I believe registration is required.

I wonder how much of our wine experience is preconceived? Would a Latour taste as good if we were told it was a fifth growth?
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: An interesting study on taste perception in the NYT

by OW Holmes » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:50 am

Perhaps it wouldn't have a dramatic impact on a really experienced taster, but for most, me included, expectations play a rather large role. In our tastings, we occasionally pour a cheap wine into a nice bottle, or bag a bottle we claim is "something special" just to see the impact. And it always has some impact, and sometimes quite large. For example, two of us poured a box wine, a Delicato Shiraz, into a Hermitage bottle, and put it on the table with the rest of the Syrahs - our theme that night. The two of us, upon tasting, gave every appearance that it was magnificent, but obviously very young, but what great potential, wonderful balance, etc.... We went thru the whole tasting, which included some very nice wines, and the group rated the wines. Yup. The Delicato won, by a substantial margin. I think only Dan and I, who rigged it, rated it anything other than 1st.
It wasn't bad, by the way.
-OW
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: An interesting study on taste perception in the NYT

by Randy Buckner » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:33 pm

I used to use an 84 Ritchie Creek Cab as a ringer -- it was a killer wine for CA, and it often finished first or second in Bordeaux tastings.