The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Road Kill

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Road Kill

by Jenise » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:02 am

Bob and I just returned from a trip in which we drove 600-800 miles per day in order to get to Ohio, where we spent three nights, and back in just ten days. Grueling but illuminating and less, in the end, about the view than the perspective. It was a trip where wine at the end of the day was more medication for road-rattle than culinary enhancement for whatever grilled meat or one-dish meal I conjured up at camp on the little Coleman. Purpose of the trip: trade in our existing camper van for a brand new one.

But for one bottle brought from home, wines were inexpensive and procured at supermarkets along the way.

2012 Ferrari Carano Sonoma Fume Blanc in St. Regis, Montana
Perfect pairing for asparagus picked up from a road side stand in Eastern Washington and a piece of thawed out salmon we smoked ourselves last fall. Practically clear in color with savage grassiness in the way I love and don't expect from anything American called 'fume', it was taut, gooseberry-green and would have sent David Bueker running out of the campground screaming.

2012 Estancia California Pinot Noir in Sheridan, Wyoming
A Bordeaux fanatic--I mean, not just a fan but someone who drinks almost nothing else--that I know touted this wine to me recently, claiming it excellent and a go-to wine during the several months he and his wife spent in Florida. Knowing his uber-traditional tastes, I could only conclude that Estancia had changed drastically since I last sampled any, so I ordered this off the menu at Frackelton's Fine Wines and Spirits, the restaurant you absolutely MUST go to if ever stranded in quaint little Sheridan for a night. Well--it hasn't changed a bit. It's still all Red Whip licorice candy that's been filtered and polished within an inch of its life in aid of erasing all varietal and vintage character such that what is left tastes the same from year to year, like Gallo's Hearty Burgundy, or at least the way that wine used to be (do they still make it?). In the morning, I sent off an email to that friend asking what in the hell was he was thinking.

2000 Mayne Veil, Fronsac, in Kickapoo, Illinois
This was the bottle brought from home. We opened it to pair with a thick Missouri steak procured in Omaha, Nebraska and grilled campside at Jubilee State Park just outside of Peoria. Definitely past peak with muddy dark fruit and leathery nuances, but still impressive for a wine that set me back all of $12.99 at the time of purchase (at Wine Exchange, Tustin CA, with Jim Dietz). Must figure out how to store a decanter and some coffee filters for cleaning up wines like this while on the road, or just bring younger wines.

2012 Sterling Napa Pinot Noir in Piqua, Ohio
Egads. Here is the polar opposite of the Estancia, or at least the polar opposite that's on the same plane of quality and not in a better direction. Rather stiff, with over-extracted black fruit and some harsh green notes riding the tannins. Not recommended.

2010 Simi Sonoma Merlot in Lake Keshogan State Park, Wisconsin, and Jamestown, North Dakota
Also a little green but not harsh, just tight, this wine was a basket of red fruits on the first night and considerably smoother with some nice cocoa notes on the second. Not a spectacular value but quite drinkable, and infinitely preferable to the Sterling or the Estancia at even money ($13).

2012 Rodney Strong Russian River Sonoma Pinot Noir in Clinton, Montana
Okay, now here's the real deal. It's only medium bodied and obviously no attempt to make a more concentrated wine takes place in the vineyard vs. growing more grapes to make as much wine as they can, in other words it's the California equivalent of a village Burgundy, but the correct flavor profile for California pinot is in this bottle. Cherry fruit with spice and tomato leaf in a way that reads more Sonoma Coast than Russian River, but that's okay because it's tasty and refreshing and, at last, real pinot noir. Went delightfully with some Asian-seasoned grilled pork chops and a light salad.

2013 Ferrari Carano Fume Blanc in Birch Bay, Washington
So delighted were we with the earlier bottle, we bought a second further along but never got around to opening it. Still, it was cold and ready when we finally arrived back in our own driveway right about sunset, so we opened this to relax with as we re-connected with our bug-free (I cannot stress enough how troublesome I found the bug situation in the midwest) Puget Sound patio. Wow, nothing, NOTHING, like the first one. Simple and fruity-yellow like a bar-fly pinot grigio, lacking any similarity to that first bottle in particular or even sauvignon blanc in general. A dog and a floozie. Woof woof.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Re: WTN: Road Kill

by JuliaB » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:06 pm

JENISE!!! I don't believe it...you were in my home town and didn't even wave. You were 3 minutes away!! (I know this because everything is 3 minutes away in Piqua).

I'm gobsmacked.

JB
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:24 pm

JuliaB wrote:JENISE!!! I don't believe it...you were in my home town and didn't even wave. You were 3 minutes away!! (I know this because everything is 3 minutes away in Piqua).

I'm gobsmacked.

JB

DON'T TELL ME THIS. You live in Piqua now? Really?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:28 pm

All my life...and I bet I know where you bought your new rv.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Get over it Julia. Carrie has been within five miles of our place without giving a hoot!
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I am familiar with a trip like that.
Diane and I just did Florida to California in four driving days. Were it not for an empty back seat to stretch out on when not driving, I believe I would not walk vertically anymore.
Wish we'd had the ability to cook along the way - for us it was just road food . . . or road kill, perhaps.
One good thing though; we brought all our wine with us . . . and needed it.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:08 pm

JuliaB wrote:All my life...and I bet I know where you bought your new rv.

Ai yi yi.

I was convinced you were in Cleveland or Cincinnati. Never even thought to ask. And of course you know where we got the RV; though it's a van, a luxury car you can sleep in, not one of those behemoths. Btw, we arrived in town on Friday around 6 and had every intention of being on our way by lunch. But that didn't work out for reasons it would bore you to tears to hear, and it was 7:30 by the time we drove away from the dealership Sat nite. We got as far as Sidney when we realized there was a shimmy in the front end at 70 mph. We hadn't tested that speed because when we roadtested it, traffic was such that we didn't go over 60; but this could have been an indication of something much more wrong than wheel balance so in spite of the fact that we HAD to be back here by Thurs night, we checked into the Hampton Inn and stayed for two more nights. We left around noon Monday and covered the 2500 miles home in 3 and a half days. So--no intention of being there for even 24 hours, let alone another 48 hours--I don't know what I would have done if I'd known you were right there. Oh, no wait, I do: I'd have treated you to dinner at Beppo di Uno!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Florida Jim wrote:I am familiar with a trip like that.
Diane and I just did Florida to California in four driving days. Were it not for an empty back seat to stretch out on when not driving, I believe I would not walk vertically anymore.
Wish we'd had the ability to cook along the way - for us it was just road food . . . or road kill, perhaps.
One good thing though; we brought all our wine with us . . . and needed it.
Best, Jim

Jim, our big-little 22 foot van conversion is an absolute treasure. It drives like a car but you can live in it. You can stay in State Parks, take repast amidst rivers and trees, drink out of Riedels and move on quickly come morning. I love road trips, and dreamed of owning a VW pop-top van and seeing the country that way since I was 15 (and read Michener's The Drifters, which is about same). But I never got around to that and in the meantime became boring and conventional and used to a little luxury. What we bought is perfect for us. Agile and portable enough for adventure, but we don't need a tent or, god forbid, RV Parks because our ride won't fit anywhere else.

But combat driving sucks no matter what you're in. Congratulations on getting to Florida in just four days!
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Jenise: I see that the 2 F-C Fume's are from different vintages..I have the 2012 in the cellar, haven't tasted it as yet. ..Must say that your tasting notes re the 2012 do not sound like any FC Fume that I have ever tasted, sounds more like a Sancerre....Typically FC Fume's have a melony taste and a roundness to them..they also make a Pinot Grigio that is a pleasant sipper, not sure if you wd call their PG a floozie but definitely not a dog..Bow wow
Jon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:54 am

Jon Leifer wrote:Jenise: I see that the 2 F-C Fume's are from different vintages..I have the 2012 in the cellar, haven't tasted it as yet. ..Must say that your tasting notes re the 2012 do not sound like any FC Fume that I have ever tasted, sounds more like a Sancerre....Typically FC Fume's have a melony taste and a roundness to them..they also make a Pinot Grigio that is a pleasant sipper, not sure if you wd call their PG a floozie but definitely not a dog..Bow wow

Yes, different vintages. And you're completely right about the Sancerre comparison--it was definitely more like a Sancerre than any California sauv blanc, and that was especially surprising from the FC FB, which because Costco seems to nearly always carry it I end up tasting it around the neighborhood several times in every vintage. And it's usually quite enjoyable, especially in the cooler vintages, and tasting in the warmer vintages like chardonnay but not pinot grigio. Which is why both bottles were so surprising, neither's what I expect from FC FB, though the '12 is what I'd personally wish for.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:58 am

Jenise wrote: Oh, no wait, I do: I'd have treated you to dinner at Beppo di Uno!

Wow.I go there frequently. We might have actually been in the same room at the same time and didn't know it. Two ships... :(
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:20 am

JuliaB wrote:
Jenise wrote: Oh, no wait, I do: I'd have treated you to dinner at Beppo di Uno!

Wow.I go there frequently. We might have actually been in the same room at the same time and didn't know it. Two ships... :(

We had dinner there Friday night. Honestly, just makes me sick to realize you were right there, Julia. I actually, at some point, held up the map to Bob and pointed to how close I thought I was to many WLDGers I'd have loved to have time to meet, you in (upper) Ohio, as I believed you to be, Christina Georgina in Wisconsin, Geo Weyer in Minn, Ryan in North Dakota, Joy in Omaha, etc.

This wasn't a long-planned trip. It was an opportunity to buy what we wanted that materialized suddenly, and we had about a day and a half to decide we could do it in ten days and get ourselves packed, mapped and on the road.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:33 am

That settles it; you'll just have to come to MoCool to meet all of us!

See you Aug. 16th!
Julia
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Ahh, the joys of retirement to do such a trip as this. I notice your selections were pretty Amer-Cali centric. Is this because you couldn't find any fer'in imports thru flyover country or by choice? Wyoming can have some amazing CA selections in their restaurants.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:41 pm

Mark, was just that--meager offerings of corporate conglomerate brands purchased in Midwestern supermarkets and probably distributed by the Budweiser guy. If a town had a better wine selection available somewhere, with our long driving days we really didn't have time to hunt for them. We just purchased wine wherever we bought food--every stop seemed to take an hour, no matter how quickly we shopped or got on/off the freeway, and we made a game out of trying to find a decent under-$20 pinot. I was just sorting through my pics and see a wine I forgot to mention, a 2013 Muga rose that I purchased in Omaha and drank in Peoria--proof that when I had a chance to buy better, I knew what to do.

:)

IMG_1615.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.