The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Saint-Jacques 1999

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

WTN: Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Saint-Jacques 1999

by Hoke » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Once again the visiting Lou and BL Kessler pull an impressive wine from their magic bag. It's another fine Burgundy.

Here's the gist of my writeup on it:

...we were delighted to have this very good bottle of Burgundy safely in our glass, and holding quite sturdy with its robust mix of cherry fruit, tomato leaf, and mushroom-earthy richness held tightly and firmly in the grip of fine, bright acidity.

The intervening years had been enough to turn the wine into a delightful example of why Burgundy appeals so much to the sophisticated drinker: it is full-flavored, yet never heavy; bright with acidity, but sweet with core fruit underneath; light on the palate, but rich and endlessly expansive in the mouth.

How many other wines could easily handle four different diners with plates before them featuring black cod in a cream sauce, venison in juniper and cumin crust, beets and green beans, and aioli, among other piquant flavors? The Gevrey-Chambertin did it without effort, wrapping itself around each food in a warm embrace, supporting and highlighting the flavors while remaining intact with its own.

That’s the finest definition of a table wine, when it embraces all the food on the table and appeals to all the drinkers at the table. And Louis Jadot’s Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Saint-Jacques 1999 does exactly that.

So with good food on the table, good friends as company, and very good wine in the glass, it turned out to be the best of times.

For the whole boring story, http://www.examiner.com/article/gevrey-chambertin-clos-saint-jacques-1999-louis-jadot
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Saint-Jacques 1999

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:04 pm

I really do love the wines of Jadot. Yes their domaine bottlings are better, but they are high quality across the range. The CSJ is a standout, along with their Bonnes Mares. I have not had the pleasure of their Clos de Beze, but I hear it is also excellent.

Jadot is the producer that jump started my appreciation of Burgundy. With easy availability I set out to try a large number of their bottles, so I could experience the different areas of Burgundy while isolating producer style. It was a great education, and cemented my love of Burgundy and Jadot.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:05 pm

My tasting note from 5 years ago says "try again in 5 years". I guess maybe for once that was sound advice! Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions.

-Michael
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:03 pm

Michael Malinoski wrote:My tasting note from 5 years ago says "try again in 5 years". I guess maybe for once that was sound advice! Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions.

-Michael

Michael, I can confidently report that the Saint-Jacques is drinking really, really nicely right now, but shows no signs whatsoever of bricking or oxidizing or losing either fruit or intensity for some while. So you can drink or hold.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:24 am

Clos Saint-Jacques has a little special memory association for me.

My very first trip to Burgundy I had arranged a stay in a small hotel in Gevrey. Got there in the evening, checked into the room on the second floor. In the morning I got up early, opened the balcony doors...and found myself gazing on the climat of Clos Saint-Jacques!

The hotel was on the small back road of the village, smack up against the stone wall that made CSJ a clos. I was so elated to be in Burgundy that I went out and across the road and looked over the vineyard. Then I began walking through the Grand Cru and Premier Cru vineyards of legend. Walked all morning long, identifying the separate vineyards from all the map-gazing I had done for many years.

Before we left I made a point of going to the then popular Restaurant Les Millesimes in Gevrey, which was located down in one of the old cellars. I still remember the almost-cliched meal of escargots, frog legs and isle flottant. And the bottle of Clos Saint-Jacques. It seemed like the right wine to be drinking.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 pm

Hoke wrote:Clos Saint-Jacques has a little special memory association for me.

My very first trip to Burgundy I had arranged a stay in a small hotel in Gevrey. Got there in the evening, checked into the room on the second floor. In the morning I got up early, opened the balcony doors...and found myself gazing on the climat of Clos Saint-Jacques!

The hotel was on the small back road of the village, smack up against the stone wall that made CSJ a clos. I was so elated to be in Burgundy that I went out and across the road and looked over the vineyard. Then I began walking through the Grand Cru and Premier Cru vineyards of legend. Walked all morning long, identifying the separate vineyards from all the map-gazing I had done for many years.

Before we left I made a point of going to the then popular Restaurant Les Millesimes in Gevrey, which was located down in one of the old cellars. I still remember the almost-cliched meal of escargots, frog legs and isle flottant. And the bottle of Clos Saint-Jacques. It seemed like the right wine to be drinking.

Nice story! I haven't traveled much the last 20 years (three boys at home with tons of activities) but this story makes me want to travel.
Tom T.