The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Recent wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Sweden

WTNs: Recent wines

by Daniel K » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:05 pm

• 1985 Burmester Porto Colheita - Portugal, Douro, Porto (11/29/2006)
    Very sweet, chocolate and hazelnut on nose and palate. Classic tawny, long aftertaste, when did I forget how good a well made port can be?
  • 2004 Domaine Monpertuis (Paul Jeune) Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/29/2006)
    Ripe fruit and very spicy, perhaps cinnamon. Typical Cdp in flavour, balanced, with acid, fruit and alcohol. Very nice, would absolutley buy and/or try again.
  • N.V. André Clouet Champagne Brut Grande Reserve - France, Champagne, Bouzy, Champagne (11/29/2006)
    A lot of Pinot fruit. Powerful with low acidity, lacks complexity and perhaps a bit short taste. Ok value. I remember this as a Blanc de Noir, but now I was told they mixed in some Chardonnay, has anyone else heard of this?
  • N.V. Michel Turgy Champagne Réserve Selection Brut Blanc de Blanc - France, Champagne, Côte des Blancs, Champagne (11/29/2006)
    Lovely nose with lemon and nuts. Surprisingly full flavour with a long aftertaste of walnuts. Would never have guessed it to be a Blanc de Blanc. Perhaps a trait of the smaller bottle size.
  • 2002 Château Haut Ferrand - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (11/23/2006)
    Sweet plums and prunes on the nose together with chocolate. Dark red fruit on palate, somewhat powerful, nice tannins and a long aftertaste, a bit young and for now somewhat unbalanced.
  • 2004 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Le Volte Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (11/19/2006)
    Blue red color. Nice scent of dark fruit, cherries and later on herbs, especially thyme. Full round flavour, nice fruit and good aftertaste. Still I'm not satisfied, missing something.

Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by Daniel K on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

Re: WTNs: Recent wines

by OW Holmes » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:18 pm

Daniel K wrote: [*]2004 Domaine Monpertuis (Paul Jeune) Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (11/29/2006)
Ripe fruit and very spicy, perhaps cinnamon. Typical Cdp in flavour,

I have enjoyed prior vintages of the Monpertuis. I cannot tell from your note, but does the 04 version exhibit any rhone funk - horseblanket, barnyard, etc....
-OW
no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Sweden

by Daniel K » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:03 pm

If I only could remember, I had a glass at a restaurant and didn't write notes. I don't recall any funk, but then again it wasn't decanted and didn't stay in the glass for very long. :D

What other vintages have you tasted?
The play was a great success, but the audience was a disaster
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:31 pm

Most of what I have had is the 2001, and at tastings I have had two from the late 80s, I think the '86 and I'm sure the '89, and I have had the '98, 99 and I think the '00. I'm not real sure about the '00, though. It strikes me that this is a very good product for the price. I am still buying more of the wonderful '01 for around $30.
-OW