The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rumblings on Wine Star Date 8.675309

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Rumblings on Wine Star Date 8.675309

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 30, 2014 3:46 pm

The brain has been rumbling more than usual lately. I think it wants more wine.

On Pinot Noir:
I’ve had a meh/like/love/like/love/meh/like relationship with California Pinot Noir over the last several years. Every time a new crop of wines comes on the scene I get excited to try them, fall briefly in love with whatever the style is at that moment, and then after a while move on. It happened in the early 2000s with the big, bold Santa Lucia Highlands area wines, then again a few years later with the less exuberant Northern California versions. It happened again over the last few months with my first tastes of Pinot Noir from Littorai and Ceritas. Taking a step back, and looking at the bigger picture I am struck by the range of wines that have started to establish a real track record for consistent quality. There will always be nits to pick about style, but there is no reason that there cannot be room for Loring and Littorai in the same universe.

On scores (I posted this elsewhere, so a little context is missing):
I am not a fan of scores. That being said, I do not see them as evil incarnate. I’ve been in a tasting group since 1998 (it was originally established in 1974) where we taste blind and score the wines on a structured 20 point scale. It’s how the group was operating when I joined. I was not going to tell them that they did not understand wine because they assigned scores. For one thing it would have been incredibly rude, and also it was clear then, as it is now, that they understood wine just fine. Everyone in the group loves drinking and sharing fine wine, having a great bottle with a meal, and all the other things (e.g. excellent cellaring, an in depth understanding of certain regions and styles, etc.) that go into a love and enthusiasm for wine.

The scores out of 20 do not define how we feel about wine, in the same way that tossing off a score out of 100 on CellarTracker does not define how I feel about wine. It’s an exercise or just a casual thought that is ancillary, not central, to the experience. John Gilman, Steve Tanzer and yes, the dread pirate Robert Parker assign scores. I know it would be popular here to say that Parker does not understand wine, but would people say the same about Steve, John, David Schildknecht, Joel Payne or any number of other respected reviewers?

Then there’s the tasting note. Do a Google search on “absurdity of the tasting note” and watch the hits flow in. Word salad is a kind descriptor. So the note is also a problem? It does not leave us much room to talk about specific wines, only wine in general. Do we need to mount a defense of the tasting note? Do people who comment about a specific wine not understand wine?

On Rose, Muscadet & White Rhones:
I enjoy a nice glass of Rose. Same goes for Muscadet. White Rhones are something I have not given a ton of thought to, but when I have them I enjoy them. Here’s the thing though. I don’t care about any of them. They do not fire my interest, or cause me to go on a journey of exploration. I’ve done the whole “buy a mixed case and taste, taste, taste” thing with Rose and Muscadet, and my enduring thought was when the heck am I going to get through all of these wines. Too much wine, too little bandwidth. Other folks can get excited about these wines. I won’t even get into Sauvignon Blanc here, as my stance on that grape (when it is sans botrytis and a healthy dose of Semillon) is well known.

Have a great weekend!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Rumblings on wine part 8675309

by Robin Garr » Fri May 30, 2014 3:55 pm

Good post! What I want to know is, when are you and TomHill going to get together and work up some BullyPulpitRumblings about wine? :lol:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: Rumblings on wine part 8675309

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Harumph. Apparently I have used 8675309 in a prior rumble...will have to edit title.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: Rumblings on Wine Star Date 8.675309

by wnissen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:05 pm

You like riesling but not rose? I'm surprised. I finally swore off California rose, especially the saignee stuff, but what remains I like a lot. Crisp acid, strawberry flavors forever, what's not to like? Now Rhone whites I can understand. A really like a few, but most are too expensive and I end up kissing too many frogs.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Not that I do not like it. I don't care about it. Want to put a nice glass of rosé in front of me? I will happily drink it.

Rosé Champagne is an important exception.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:21 am

wnissen wrote:You like riesling but not rose? I'm surprised.

Why? It's rare that you get a rose with even a fraction of the complexity of most good riesling.

Of course complexity is not the point of rose, but that also means that it's hard to judge it on the same grounds as other wines.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:13 pm

I dunno, it always seemed to me that there was a similarity in the purity and acidity of both riesling and rose that didn't occur as often in other wines.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Purity-sure. Acidity-sometimes.

Complexity? Not so much. Long term ageability? Not so much. Terroir expression? Who knows since you don't see a ton of vineyard designated rose to compare across sites like you do with Riesling.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:26 pm

wnissen wrote:You like riesling but not rose? I'm surprised. I finally swore off California rose, especially the saignee stuff, but what remains I like a lot. Crisp acid, strawberry flavors forever, what's not to like? Now Rhone whites I can understand. A really like a few, but most are too expensive and I end up kissing too many frogs.

Yup, Walt...tend to agree. Saignee rose tastes a bit too much like they're trying to salvage something. The roses I tend to like best are made for grapes that were
harvested specifically for making a rose...like Steve's BoneJolly Rose. The saignee roses tend to be too alcoholic and underacid, by & large.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well....

by TomHill » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Good post! What I want to know is, when are you and TomHill going to get together and work up some BullyPulpitRumblings about wine? :lol:

'Twood be a honor to work w/ David. 'Cept David is not quite as TFIC & pot-stirring as I. :-)
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:35 pm

Do I need to be snarky/TFIC? I can do that.