The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Chateau Palmer tasting at Nantucket Wine Festival

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Chateau Palmer tasting at Nantucket Wine Festival

by JC (NC) » Thu May 29, 2014 12:57 pm

This event was held in a private home on Almanac Pond Road next to a vineyard. The homeowner plans to produce wine as the grapevines reach the appropriate maturity. The home itself was not a typical Nantucket design--the original builder was an architect and it had vaulted ceilings, lots of natural light, curved arches, etc.

Chateau Palmer is in the Margaux region of Bordeaux and was classified as a 3ieme growth in the 1855 classification. The presenter was head of the chateau's operations in the USA, assisted by a restauranteur from Nice Matin on the upper westside of Manhattan. The restaurant has a winelist including older Bordeaux vintages and has been a champion of Chateau Palmer. I made a mental note to check out Nice Matin the next time I visit NYC (also Bar Boulud which I hear tweets special bottles to be opened at or near cost by the glass offering a chance to try some rare and expensive wines.)

We started with two vintages of Alter Ego which is not a second wine from Chateau Palmer but is another wine styled differently to be accessible earlier than the traditional estate wine. It debuted in 1998 with grapes from different plots and a different blend. We tried the 2011 and 2008 vintages.

2011 ALTER EGO Medium to long finish. Dark currants and raspberries. About half Merlot, half Cabernet Sauvignon.,

2008 ALTER EGO Unusual nose. Some cedar and leather. Viscous. I slightly preferred this over the 2011 though initially I was on the fence and found it almost a tie.

CHATEAU PALMER HISTORICAL XIXTH CENTURY WINE LOT 20.00. This wine series is a homage to 19th century Chateau Palmer vintages that may have included Syrah in the blend. The 2004 vintage contains 85% traditional Bordeaux varieties (half Merlot and half Cabernet Sauvignon) and 15% Syrah from the Rhone; usually about 10-15% Syrah in the blend. I found red currants on the nose as well as cranberries and even some cherry. Viscous, smooth tasting.

2011 CHATEAU PALMER Hail damage diminished the crop in this vintage. The wine was smooth and not too tannic.

2005 CHATEAU PALMER This had a tannic edge that showed up as a later impression, not at first sip but when held in the mouth.

1998 CHATEAU PALMER I again found currants on the nose and palate but perhaps black currants this time rather than red. A slight smokiness which I found attractive. The Nice Matin restauranteur spoke of secondary or tertiary characteristics such as the fruit drying out more, tobacco notes might become ashes, animal, meat and leather notes. He said this wine could age five or more years and still evolve. I enjoyed this vintage.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Chateau Palmer tasting at Nantucket Wine Festival

by Sam Platt » Thu May 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Seems like a great experience, JC.

I can't quite discern your opinion of the Alter Ego wines that you tasted from the posted comments. I have had the wine on two occasions and was not terribly impressed. I recall them being rather bland and unremarkable. I believe that we tasted the '04 and '05 vintages of Alter Ego.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu May 29, 2014 2:57 pm

I wasn't that impressed with the Alter Ego wines. Pleasant but not very moving.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 29, 2014 7:45 pm

The second wines of the top estates now cost way more than they are worth.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Fri May 30, 2014 9:59 pm

I've had the '98 Palmer on several occasions and it has always impressed. Wish I still had some. Definitely IMO a wine that would "move up" if they ever adjusted the 1855 Classification. Lovely chateau as well.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman