The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus: We'll do Spain for June

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Wine Focus: We'll do Spain for June

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 27, 2014 8:55 am

Gamay anyone?

(Edited May 30 by Robin: We'll do The Wines of Spain for June. I'll post the new topic tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas!)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Wine Focus Nomination for June?

by Howie Hart » Tue May 27, 2014 9:04 am

Meritage?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 am

Southern Italian.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 27, 2014 9:29 am

I suppose we could, though the components of Meritage have been focused a couple of times in recent months. See the most recent topics below. I had forgotten we did Beaujolais so recently.

5/14: Alsace
4/14: Merlot
3/14: Value WInes
2/14: Cabernet
1/14: CNdP and GSM Blends
12/13: Sweet/Fotified/Bubbly
11/13: Piedmont
10/13: Zinfandel
9/13 Beaujolais
8/13: Muscadet
7/13: Pinot Blanc/Gris/Grigio
6/13: Rosé
5/13: Aromatic Whites
4/13: Pinot Noir
3/13: French Mountain Whites
2/13: Riesling
1/13: Merlot
12/12: Sweet Wines
11/12: Merlot/Cab Franc
10/12: Syrah
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 27, 2014 10:09 am

Spain!
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue May 27, 2014 11:09 am

+1 for Spain! Some lovely whites on the shelf around here plus the usual high quality reds :D .
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue May 27, 2014 11:32 am

We've had a couple of winners lately ... Alsace this month, and our "Wine Values" outing a couple of months earlier, started a lot of conversations and stayed busy all month.

Looking back, Merlot and Beaujolais were rather week topics, averaging no more than one post per day and pretty much fizzling before months end. There may be a lesson in that, but I'm not quite sure what it is. :roll:

Looking back over the list of topics that David so kindly provided, it seems that most (but not all) topics over the past couple of years have been varietally focused. Given the success of a regional topic on Alsace, it might make sense to try Spain (or other region) for a month and see how that approach goes.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue May 27, 2014 7:28 pm

I could get behind Spain.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 27, 2014 8:37 pm

It's an incredibly broad topic, but I can handle that.
no avatar
User

Thomas G

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm

by Thomas G » Tue May 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Mediterranean whites: Spain, France, Italy and Greece.

Or maybe Spanish and island whites (corse, Sardinia, Sicily and the Greek Isles).

This wouldn't be any narrower than Spain.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue May 27, 2014 9:14 pm

And potentially much broader.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed May 28, 2014 2:02 am

Both Spain and Meritage (if by that we mean any Bordeaux blends) are very wide topics. If I were still living in Belgium where there is a good availability, I would have favoured Spain, but here availability is almost nil and my cellar now only contains about 10 bottles, all Rioja. Don't let that deter anyone, but I'll probably only do one post, if it's Spain.

I like the idea of Gamay, particularly if we can get some more Spring-like weather.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 9:11 am

Tim York wrote:I would have favoured Spain, but here availability is almost nil and my cellar now only contains about 10 bottles, all Rioja. Don't let that deter anyone, but I'll probably only do one post, if it's Spain.

Tim, I hate to have you locked out, but I was really startled to notice the story that the numbers tell in past months when we've done Gamay and/or Beaujolais. Wine Focus simply lies down and dies in those months, suggesting this is a better topic for an Open Mike or extended WTN discussion.

I have an idea, though! If we get on to Spain and you'd like to play, I'm sure no one would object to a "flexible border." :mrgreen: Personally, I am fascinated by the idea of investigating the kinship between the wines of Catalunya and the Basque country and the similar wines of the nearby French Pyrenees and Roussillon. Would those wines be more available to you in your current location, or are they as scarce as Spain?

(In fact, thinking out loud, I can think of lots of similar "boundary wines" where wine styles cross national boundaries. Alto Adige and the SudTyrol and Austria. Slovenia's Brda and Italy's Collio. Germany and Alsace. New York's Finger Lakes and Ontario's Niagara Peninsula ... and so it goes. Grist for a future Wine Focus, maybe?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed May 28, 2014 11:14 am

Robin Garr wrote:I have an idea, though! If we get on to Spain and you'd like to play, I'm sure no one would object to a "flexible border." :mrgreen: Personally, I am fascinated by the idea of investigating the kinship between the wines of Catalunya and the Basque country and the similar wines of the nearby French Pyrenees and Roussillon. Would those wines be more available to you in your current location, or are they as scarce as Spain?

Interesting idea,Robin. Any "étranger" wine is a difficulty here. (Increasingly "étranger" people too; 25% voted for the racist and anti-European Front National in the recent European elections and 44%! in the rural commune in which I live :(. I have to say, nevertheless, that so far most people seem very friendly.) I've seen plenty of wines from Roussillon on the shelves and there should be some Irouléguy, though I don't recall having seen any. However to make it really interesting, I'd like to have some Priorat or Montsant to compare and I doubt if I can find them closer than Lavinia in Paris. Still I'm looking for an excuse to open one of my bottles of Muntada from Gauby and this could be it :D .
Last edited by Tim York on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu May 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Tim York wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I have an idea, though! If we get on to Spain and you'd like to play, I'm sure no one would object to a "flexible border." :mrgreen: Personally, I am fascinated by the idea of investigating the kinship between the wines of Catalunya and the Basque country and the similar wines of the nearby French Pyrenees and Roussillon. Would those wines be more available to you in your current location, or are they as scarce as Spain?

Interesting idea,Robin. Any "étranger" wine is a difficulty here. (Increasingly "étranger" people too; 25% voted for the racist and anti-European Front National in the recent European elections and 44%! in the rural commune in which I live :(. I have to say, nevertheless, that so far most people seem very friendly.) I've seen plenty of wines from Roussillon on the shelves and there should be some Irrouléguy, though I don't recall having seen any. However to make it really interesting, I'd like to have some Priorat or Montsant to compare and I doubt if I can find them closer than Lavinia in Paris. Still I'm looking for an excuse to open one of my bottles of Muntada from Gauby and this could be it :D .

Off topic, Tim...but France is not alone. http://www.boilingfrogspost.com/2014/05 ... ower-bloc/
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

Okay, we're doing Spain for June

by Robin Garr » Fri May 30, 2014 10:51 am

Just in case there's any remaining doubt, let's definitely plan to go with The Wines of Spain.

This will incorporate both red and white winess (and rosado!) from all regions, but we will try to keep it Spanish with the small exception that those in other European countries who have a hard time finding Spanish wines may go for the nearest geographic or stylistic neighbors. Pyrenees or Roussillon in France, for instance, or non-Port Douro reds and Portuguese whites bordering on Galicia, maybe. If you have to. (Hi, Tim! :mrgreen: )

Should be a fun month. To be honest, when I think of Spain lately, I tend to think huge, hot, global-warming and Parkerized bombs, so I'm eager for an opportunity to reconnect with reality if possible.

Please don't start posting in this topic, though. Sunday - or maybe even tomorrow - I'll put up the new discussion.