The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lagier-Meredith Tribidrag '11...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Lagier-Meredith Tribidrag '11...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Fri May 23, 2014 11:10 am

Getting ready to order my '12 Tribidrag, thought I'd check in on the preceeding vintage:
1. Lagier-Meredith Tribidrag MtVeeder/NapaVlly RW (15.1%; www.LagierMeredith.com) 2011: Dark color; some earthy/dusty strong blackberry/Zin/very spicy bit black pepper very light toasty/oak somewhat briary/licorice/mtn Zin nose; bit tart very strong blackberry/briary/mtn Zin/bit peppery light toasty/oak very spicy bit rustic/rugged flavor w/ modest/rough tannins; very long strong briary/blackberry/Zin/peppery light oak bit earthy/dusty/rustic finish w/ some rough tannins; the alcohol does not show & no signs of overripe; very muscular structure; speaks very much of a mtn Zin w/ briary/rough character; has a long future ahead. $43.50
1. Tribidrag is, of course, the ancient/ancesteral name for Zinfandel. Surprised the TTB let that name thru as I doubt they recognize Tribidrag as a variety. This is much defferent from the Chester'sAnvil Mead Ranch Zin. Much bigger & much more structured. It reminds me some of the old Ridge HowellMtn Zins w/o the oak. It reminds me some of the old MikeBernstein MtVeeder Zins of yore; a bit of some of the PeterFranus Brandlin Zins but more structure. This is qunitessential mountain Zin & has a long future ahead of it. Probably would even stand up to chocolate brownies.
I tasted the '13 at RhoneRangers & it struck me as maybe even better, w/ a bit of herbal character.
Tom