The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A FILLLLTHY WTN: Rust En Vrede Estate 2003 Stellenbosch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

A FILLLLTHY WTN: Rust En Vrede Estate 2003 Stellenbosch

by Bill Hooper » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:42 pm

I thought I'd check in an old favorite. A few vintages ago, Rust En Vrede Estate proved to me that South African wines were the real deal. It was quite a surprise, as new world wines are often a major disappointment. There is no doubt that the 2003 has loads of fruit. Its sooo damned balanced though, with filthy, bretty tobacco and tar. Drinking it is like licking a blackberry pie off of a hot interstate highway. Cassis, blackberry, chocolate, mint and herbs with plenty of sandpaper tannins. I often think of South African reds as the stylistic no-mans land between Bordeaux and the new world. Rust En Vrede is why. 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Shiraz, 10% Merlot. 14,5%vol. $50

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: A FILLLLTHY WTN: Rust En Vrede Estate 2003 Stellenbosch

by Doug Surplus » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:30 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:like licking a blackberry pie off of a hot interstate highway.

To think that after living in the desert for 30+ years I still haven't gotten around to doing that!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:49 am

Doug Surplus wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:like licking a blackberry pie off of a hot interstate highway.

To think that after living in the desert for 30+ years I still haven't gotten around to doing that!

Doug,

Clearly it's about time....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:31 am

I often think of South African reds as the stylistic no-mans land between Bordeaux and the new world.

Ditto. And they're pretty recognizable for same in blind tastings. A wine that's not quite French, but definitely not California or Australia? Probably an Afrikaaner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov