The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Jaw-dropping video- why recork at chateau?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Jaw-dropping video- why recork at chateau?

by Dale Williams » Tue May 20, 2014 9:01 am

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Jaw-dropping video- why recork at chateau?

by Jon Peterson » Tue May 20, 2014 10:08 am

Really interesting, Dale - thanks for posting. While we've all heard of this process, I'd never seen it before. (For no particular reason, I was a little surprised that it was done in a dining room of a home.)
I was expecting to see the bottles topped up with wine; perhaps that's only done with large collections and when producer does it.
I was also expecting a quick sniff as a rough gauge of the soundness of the wine. It seems to be to be an opportune time to do so. Perhaps, however, the lingering smell of the bad cork makes this a useless task.
Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 am

I assume the seepage was so bad that recorking could not be avoided. At least I would hope so.

As a completely anal retentive process engineer I would have a second person at the ready with the inert gas to douse the neck as the cork is about to be extracted and fill the head space the second the cork was completely removed. I would want a cork approve by the chateau itself to be used for the recorking AND I would have the recorker on the table/workbench at the same location at the cork removal to avoid any chance of handling damage. It goes without saying that I would have a complete recorking process failure mode effects analysis (PFMEA) completed before I even considered undertaking the task... but that's just me. :)
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue May 20, 2014 10:42 am

I actually had to do an emergency recorking of a 1916 Rieussec I bought from a private collector for a tasting a did a few years ago. The cork had shriveled to the point that when placed on its side it started dripping. The wine was still sound though. I simply found a cork, sanitized it with oxyclean (I don't remember if I had wine preserver gas on hand at the time), and did the deed. The wine was still perfectly fine (well, as fine as a 1916 Sauternes is going to be) several months later when I did the tasting.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue May 20, 2014 10:52 am

Just to be clear, I think these people are insane.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue May 20, 2014 11:01 am

I agree with Dale. Topping up should be done. Using winery over-run corks would be a no-no. He mentioned CO2 in the gas he used. Nitrogen or argon only should be used.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed May 21, 2014 6:56 am

“Cult Wines International”? Seems to me only a “true” wine collector (someone who just has to have a 1982 Lafite in their cellar) would buy from them or participate in their auctions. The online bidding process at Cult Wines International seems quite interesting, bidding starts at a $1.00 and then they let it “fly from there”.

Salute
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed May 21, 2014 10:09 am

Dale Williams wrote:Just to be clear, I think these people are insane.

Thanks for clearing that up, Dale! I'm with you.