The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SFChron: Bonne on Columbia Gorge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SFChron: Bonne on Columbia Gorge

by TomHill » Sat May 17, 2014 9:34 am

Interesting article in today's SFChron by Jon on the wines of the ColumbiaGorge:
ColumbiaGorge

Didn't realize the area had such a history. Interesting that they have Mencia and Gruner planted.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: SFChron: Bonne on Columbia Gorge

by Hoke » Sat May 17, 2014 12:50 pm

Since I live here next to one side of the Gorge (the wetter side) and constantly feel the effects of the wind tunnel (you always know when the winds are blowing from west to east, trust me), and frequently travel from the Willamette AVA to the Columbia and Walla Walla AVAs and naturally go through the Gorge, I'm cognizant of the diversity of the area.

The shock of learning this is somewhat old, since I remember when I lived in Seattle many years agone now I met Doug McRea, an early champion of the Rhone varieties of the Gorge (and specifically Grenache). Didn't know about Mencia, but not surprised in the least; makes sense, what with the riverine situation.

Tom, Oregon also does credible wine from Teroldego and Lagrein (got some nods from Trentino-Alto Adige producers recently) and Albarino and Tempranillo (down in the Umpqua.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Really???

by TomHill » Sat May 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Hoke wrote:The shock of learning this is somewhat old, since I remember when I lived in Seattle many years agone now I met Doug McRea, an early champion of the Rhone varieties of the Gorge (and specifically Grenache). Didn't know about Mencia, but not surprised in the least; makes sense, what with the riverine situation.

Tom, Oregon also does credible wine from Teroldego and Lagrein (got some nods from Trentino-Alto Adige producers recently) and Albarino and Tempranillo (down in the Umpqua.

Really, Hoke?? Two of my favorite grapes. Who's making them??
Any idea what DougMcCrea is doing these days? I followed him from...yada/yada/yada.
Tom
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat May 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Lagrein: Remy Wines makes a lagrein, and a lagrein blend--I beiieve with Merlot and Syrah---called Three Wives, from a single lagrein vineyard in the Willamette Valley.

Teroldego: Comes from a vineyard in the Rogue Valley down south, on the way to Crater Lake. Crater Lake Cellars. Small operation, only part of a vineyard in teroldego, and they make a recioto version as well. http://violentfermentation.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html

The albarino and tempranillo are from Abacela in the Umpqua, one of the better wineries in Oregon.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am

Great article, Tom, thanks for posting. I've posted a few notes on Memmaloose wines, as I've found them rather fascinating. Also recently purchased some Phelps pinot noirs on Last Bottle--indeed, they're quite Burgundian.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov