The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Recommendation for gift

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Frank Wilkins

Rank

Just got here

Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:32 pm

Recommendation for gift

by Frank Wilkins » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:58 pm

Ok, new member and wine greenhorn here so obviously I know virtually nothing about wines hence my visit for a couple recommendations. I realize that i will probably get numerous different recommendations from numerous different posters here, so I'll try to be as specific as possible to narrow the choices.

I am giving a gift this holiday season to someone who is fairly knowledgable about wines. I want to spend about $60 on this person and want to purchase a bottle (or preferably 2 or 3 bottles that total $60) wine(s) that this person will appreciate. I'd like it to be something that this person might not specifically purchase for themselves, but when they open it, they will be impressed with the brand (variety) choice.

I guess another factor should be that it be fairly easy to locate in a liquor store here in Dallas, TX. I will go to a fairly nice place that will have a broad variety of wines with substantial depth. (if anyone is in Dallas - something like Pogo's or Goody Goody)

Not sure what the best approach is here but perhaps if each visitor could post 3 possible candidates from which I'll compile a list. Any other suggestions/approaches are welcome. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Frank
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Re: Recommendation for gift

by Tom N. » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi Frank,

You should give us some idea of the person's tastes (red or white drinker, no preference, some experience with wine, none, or a lot). However, I will give you some suggestions (my biases will be expressed) that are affordable and that most people would like.

White: Riesling Kabinett, Gunderloch 'Jean Baptiste' (2003 or 2004 maybe 2005, whatever is the current release in Dallas) Should be no more than $15 as it is about that here in Canada

Red: I suggest a Pinot Noir. Shea from Oregon, makes a good one. Not sure of price, but will be more than the riesling.

These two wines are both very food friendly and will go with a wide variety of dishes. Heavier meats and dishes with the pinot, lighter ones with the riesling.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:06 pm

Hi Frank and Welcome!
Three times a week, Robin, our fearless leader, publishes the "30 Second Wine Advisor", in which he reports on one or two wines. Almost all of the wines are under $20 and should be available in larger wine markets or on-line, using th elinks he provides. If you can answer the questions Tom posed, you should be able to find 4 bottles that will suit your needs. Here is a link to the "30 Second Wine Advisor" archives:
LINK
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:32 pm

I'd like it to be something that this person might not specifically purchase for themselves, but when they open it, they will be impressed with the brand (variety) choice.

Common question, but to give a good answer it helps to know what this person does usually purchase?

As well as their general taste preferences? I.e. Old World/New World? Burgundy/Bordeaux/Rhone? Etc..

If you don't know the answers, you should be able to get a nice champagne for around $60 in a respectable shop, and champagne is always a festive gift.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:25 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
I'd like it to be something that this person might not specifically purchase for themselves, but when they open it, they will be impressed with the brand (variety) choice.

Common question, but to give a good answer it helps to know what this person does usually purchase?

As well as their general taste preferences? I.e. Old World/New World? Burgundy/Bordeaux/Rhone? Etc..

If you don't know the answers, you should be able to get a nice champagne for around $60 in a respectable shop, and champagne is always a festive gift.

Rahsaan,

I am impressed by your extremely reasonable--and the only possible--response to Frank's oft-repeated request, not by Frank of course but by many others around this time of year.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:50 pm

Frank,

I'll take the plunge even though I know "zero" about your friends taste (see questions from Tom and Rahsaan).

Trimbach Gewurztraminer (any vintage)
Argyle Pinot Noir (any vintage)
Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 (or other vintage)
Mumm N/V Champagne

That should take you to about $60, or a little over.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Frank Wilkins

Rank

Just got here

Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:32 pm

by Frank Wilkins » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:17 pm

Sam Platt wrote:I'll take the plunge even though I know "zero" about your friends taste (see questions from Tom and Rahsaan).

Trimbach Gewurztraminer (any vintage)

Thanks Sam. I have heard from other sources about this Trimbach Gewurztraminer. It also shows up on several "20 wines for under $20" lists. I think I'll include a bottle.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:59 pm

Frank,
Fully aware that you are asking for wine recommendations, may I suggest, in addition, that you vist a good book store? I am always pleased to receive a good book on wine and have never been dissapointed, as I have been, occasionally, upon receipt of a bottle. Something recently printed lessens the chance that your friend already has it - and aging is not necessary.
JPP
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:37 pm

In that case, how about an Alsace trio - Riesling / Pinot Gris / Gewurz ?

This is ideal if they're not particularly 'up on French or indeed Alsace wines. If they like the region, they'll enjoy it, but it might not be exciting.

As a really challenging gift for a real wine nut, a selection of sherries might be interesting (choose from Fino, Manzanilla, Oloroso, Amontillado, although there are other styles). A bottle of each from a decent producer can come in under budget and be something a wine lover could well appreciate 'out of their safety zone'.

hope this helps

Ian