The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Idlewild VinGris '13...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Idlewild VinGris '13...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed May 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Finish trying the last of my Idlewild stash last night:
1. Idlewild VinGris YorkvilleHighlands/MendoCnty (12.7%; www.IdleWildWines.com; Grenache) 2013: Pale salmon/copper color; quite perfumed/fragrant cranberry/watermelon/strawberry/light Grenache/lemony/citric slight savory/earthy/cinammon quite interesting nose; dry quite tart bright/strawberry/Grenache/watermelon/cranberry slight tangy/grapefruity slight earthy/spicy/cinammon quite pretty flavor; med.long bright/strawberry/Grenache/cranberry fairly tart/tangy/citric/juicy light earthy finish; lots of tangy/savory character w/ good/bright fruit. $24.00
1. This recent release from SamBilbro was 3 for 3. This is a very pretty rose that falls between the austere/lean style of many Provence roses and the soft/tutti-fruity character you often find in Calif Rose. I would guess this Grenache was harvested specifically for this rose and was not a saignee by-product. Many of the Calif Syrah/Grenache roses are products in which the winemaker is using up his saignee juice and are low in acid and clock in at 14%+ alcohol. Some of those can be rather pretty wines by they're not as refreshing as what I like in a rose. When I crack a rose, I want to be able to slam back the whole friggin' btl and have no regrets..a wine where one glass beckons you to have anuther.
Tom
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: WTN: Idlewild VinGris '13...(short/boring)

by Doug Surplus » Wed May 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Tom, after your first post on the Idlewild Arneis, I visited the site and signed up. The wines were all interesting to me and your notes have cemented that idea for me. I'll be ordering some this week.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Wed May 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:Tom, after your first post on the Idlewild Arneis, I visited the site and signed up. The wines were all interesting to me and your notes have cemented that idea for me. I'll be ordering some this week.

Make sure you get the Arneis, Doug. It's pretty special. I think you'll like what Sam is doing. It's going mana a mano w/ the Vietti tonight in my tasting.
Tom
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed May 14, 2014 3:53 pm

TomHill wrote:
Doug Surplus wrote:Tom, after your first post on the Idlewild Arneis, I visited the site and signed up. The wines were all interesting to me and your notes have cemented that idea for me. I'll be ordering some this week.

Make sure you get the Arneis, Doug. It's pretty special. I think you'll like what Sam is doing. It's going mana a mano w/ the Vietti tonight in my tasting.
Tom

Just placed my order - 1 each of the available wines. It was the Arneis that initially piqued my interest, having enjoyed one from Graziano (IIRC) a few years ago that I've not been able to find since. However, the other wines also interested me so I'm trying them all.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?