The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kapcsandy, Camarsac, Sterling, Buoncristiani, others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Kapcsandy, Camarsac, Sterling, Buoncristiani, others

by Jenise » Tue May 13, 2014 10:46 am

A few wines from the past couple weeks:

2008 Robert Hall Cabernet Sauvignon Paso Robles
Dark purple, dark berry fruit on the nose with a sappy edge. On the palate, youthful mid-range cabernet flavors that are just a little too kirschy--modern, hot and sweet. Not a fan.

1991 Sterling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Diamond Mountain Ranch Vineyard
Les' bottle. Dark red with a youthfully Bordeauxish nose of black cherry, cedar and graphite, great midpalate fruit and a long, long finish. A stunning mature CalCab.

2010 Tobias Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain
Very odd wine. No identifiable flaw here, just a red wine that tastes like rhubarb and cactus juice--certainly not something made from grapes. I paid $30 for this? Excuse me while I go make a voodoo doll of the guy who sold it to me and stick a pin in it.

2009 Buoncristiani OPC Proprietary Red Napa Valley Red Blend
Decanted for about four hours then drunk over two. It improved by the hour and the last sip was the best of all. Very European in style and dry/savory instead of fruit-forward--so showing better with food than without--black cherry is primary with dust, cocoa, mint and a little green tobacco. Good value for a cab blend (includes 30% syrah).

2012 Château Camarsac Bordeaux Red Bordeaux Blend
Dark fruit and loamy; drinks well without decanting. Purchased at Costco for a camping trip; we'd forgotten to pack a bottle and we were at a Costco with very limited choices. An extremely decent claret for $12 (Costco price) that beats any domestic wine I can think of at the same price.

1997 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon Seven Hills Vineyard Walla Walla Valley
Drinkable but clearly fading away at this point. Drink up if you have them.

2007 Kapcsandy Family Winery Estate Cuvée State Lane Vineyard Yountville Red Bordeaux Blend
Neighbor's wine. Oustanding nose, very dry midpalate/modest fruit, Bordeauxish in style but without Bordeaux elegance at this stage--just an awkward phase, I think--as the very high quality is apparent.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Kapcsandy, Camarsac, Sterling, Buoncristiani, others

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 14, 2014 11:30 am

I've only had a taste of the Kapcsandy and thought it quite nice. Very, very expensive, though. :shock: And the owners are arrogant, I have been told by a retailer who doesn't want to carry the wine anymore! :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 14, 2014 2:49 pm

That was the first one I've had, Brian. Like I said, the quality and potential were quite obvious--going to be a stunner some day. Interesting about the owner!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Jenise wrote:That was the first one I've had, Brian. Like I said, the quality and potential were quite obvious--going to be a stunner some day. Interesting about the owner!

Ah. Just wine industry gossip! Doesn't mean it is true! :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu May 15, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks, Jenise. I was especially interested to read about the Kapcsandy. I bought several btls of this wine at Total Wine using my employee discount back when I worked there. I have not had any yet. Based on your comments, I'll let them sleep a little longer.