The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

When not drinking Beaujolais . . .

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

When not drinking Beaujolais . . .

by Florida Jim » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:35 pm

2004 Anselmi, Capitel Foscarino:
Garganega from a hillside vineyard in Soave at 13% alcohol; honeyed pear on the nose with mineral and rushing water accents; tangy on the palate with bright flavors that echo the nose, ripe almost fat, complex, juicy and perfect balance; medium finish that is crisp and crystal clear. If I could find 375’s of this, I’d buy them all, because if we open a 750, I won’t stop ‘til it’s empty. Soulful, life-affirming wine imported by Palm Bay Imports and about $16; I bought a lot.

2004 Zind-Humbrecht, Riesling:
A pungent pineapple, lime skin and mineral nose leads to a tangy, strongly flavored palate with viscosity, concentration, some cooked flavors and good balance; short finish; 12% alcohol. With food the tang moderates and the finish lengthens. I like this but in small doses; it will never replace Trimbach’s entry level riesling. Imported by Kermit Lynch and about $17; no more for me, thanks.

2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:
A blast of dark chocolate when first opened morphs to earth, asphalt, dark cherries and a hint of truffle, a pretty arresting nose; silky on the palate with flavors and complexity that follow and expand upon the nose, good grip, bright acidity and moderate concentration, all in an integrated yet delineated delivery; long finish. I have tasted a whole lot of Barbaresco that can’t touch this. Imported by Locascio and about $20 on release; I’d buy it again.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: When not drinking Beaujolais . . .

by Saina » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:59 pm

Florida Jim wrote:2004 Zind-Humbrecht, Riesling:
I like this but in small doses; it will never replace Trimbach’s entry level riesling.

Thanks for tasting it before I went and bought one. I've said this about most of Z-H's higher end stuff and thanks to a previous note of yours I was thinking I would try their basic wines to see if they're any better. Looks like I'll pass. Trimbach rocks. Oh, I had a pretty decent basic Riesling from Léon Beyer - I might be buying that on occasion instead of Trimbach in the near future.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: Trimbach rocks. Oh, I had a pretty decent basic Riesling from Léon Beyer - I might be buying that on occasion instead of Trimbach in the near future.

-O-

Otto,
Try some Domaine Weinbach damn it! :D

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:15 pm

The problem with Weinbach is that, at least in NY, their least expensive Riesling is about double the price of Trimbach.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:28 pm

But Weinbach is at LEAST doubly good -and estate grown. Trimbach buys grapes that may or may not have fallen off a truck.... :D

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:26 am

Bill Hooper wrote:But Weinbach is at LEAST doubly good -and estate grown. Trimbach buys grapes that may or may not have fallen off a truck.... :D

Prost!
Bill

Bill,
I don't care if they're making it with bought grapes are not, its the style of the Trimbach that always pulls me in. Weinbach's wines, while good, just don't have the cut I want in riesling.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:50 am

Bill Hooper wrote:Otto,

No. They've got the same problem as Z-H. They tend to be too full bodied and not light enough on their feet - I tire when I try to drink them. And they're also expensive.

-o-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:59 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Bill Hooper wrote:Otto,

No. They've got the same problem as Z-H. They tend to be too full bodied and not light enough on their feet - I tire when I try to drink them. And they're also expensive.

-o-

However difficult it is to pigeonhole my preferences, I'll try. Although the following countries have vast differences in style from region to region, producer to producer, vineyard to vineyard and wine to wine, I might attempt to relay the reasons why I like them all. When I want a tense, pure, mineral, superbly balanced and utterly breathtaking riesling (who was it who said 'like shaking hands with a mountain'?), I generally go for German. Broadly speaking, it is the country which produces the finest riesling in the world. I like Austrian riesling for javelin-like sharpness, minerality and precision -especially Smaragd from the Wachau (But they do Grüner Veltliner so well, the rieslings tend to get over-shadowed). For super-hero power, showmanship and surrealism, Alsace has no equal. This style (dismissed by many as over-blown), has been embraced by the new guard in Alsace, and for me offers a nice change of pace and a unique identity for the region. Riesling from Germany, Austria and Alsace are all very different and very necessary for me. Thank god I don't have to give any of them up :D !

Cheers to Riesling, the best F*cking grape on the planet!
Bill
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:00 pm

Bill, you did not mention Australia in your sum up here?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:53 pm

I havent seen the Capitel Foscarino around here, Jim, only the Capitel Croce which was all about barrique IIRC and I Capitelli (one of my fave dessert wines). Sure sounds yummy though.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:00 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Bill, you did not mention Australia in your sum up here?

No Bob, I did not. :)

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:28 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:I havent seen the Capitel Foscarino around here, Jim, only the Capitel Croce which was all about barrique IIRC and I Capitelli (one of my fave dessert wines). Sure sounds yummy though.

I got my out of Jersey, if that helps any.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars