The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Joguet Chinon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

WTN: 2005 Joguet Chinon

by Joy Lindholm » Fri May 09, 2014 3:34 pm

2005 Charles Joguet Chinon "Les Petites Roches"

This cuvée is ideally consumed young, so I thought I was pushing my luck a bit to hold it this long. I have had several other vintages of this wine, but all consumed within 5-6 years of vintage date. Opened last night to accompany lamb tacos, I was pleasantly surprised what an interesting place this wine is in. There is a faint bit of tart, dark brambly fruit, which became more assertive the longer it was open. The thing that was so unique was the overwhelming smoky, herbal notes enveloping the nose and palate. It reminded me strongly of black cardamom pods and charred Ancho chiles. Structurally it was very balanced, with pleasant tannin and acid to balance the 13.5% alcohol. What a fun combination with dinner! I probably wouldn't hold this wine much longer, and generally enjoy the freshness of younger Chinon, but this was a fun experiment in aging.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2005 Joguet Chinon

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri May 09, 2014 4:27 pm

Have some more recent vintages of this wine so interesting to read your note Joy. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2005 Joguet Chinon

by Jenise » Fri May 09, 2014 4:57 pm

I've had good luck holding the Roches from warm vintages like 2005. And if there's one producer you can count on to beat the odds, it's Joguet--I find them pretty magical at all stages of life.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov