The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Failla PN, Balbo Malbec, Vignalta PB

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Failla PN, Balbo Malbec, Vignalta PB

by Jenise » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:04 pm

From the past few days:

2004 Failla Pinot Noir, Keefer Ranch, Russian River
Intense red fruit in the cherry and pomegranate realm and a rich spicy finish. Textbook Russian River pinot, very nicely done.

2004 Vignalta Pinot Bianco, Colli Euganei, Italy
In my continued effort to understand why the world's pinot blanc vines should not be burned to the ground, I purchased this ($16). Interesting stuff. Viscuous texture. Flavor of white raspberry and cashew, with all the lightly sweet creamy nuttiness that that implies. Seemed a little hot for 13% abv, and taste wise it was a less than brilliant match with the salty/buttery St. Marcellin cheese on fennel crisp bread we were having for lunch, but we did like the wine and it helped further nail an impression of pinot blanc into place--these better versions from northern Italy, Germany and Austria have all been more similar than different.

2000 Susanna Balbo Malbec, Argentina
This wine went through a shy stage awhile back, but it shows well now. Mixed black and red fruit with a slightly jammy core. I personally like it less now than I did when it was younger and tannins hid the jammy quality, but it's a classy example of what good producers can do with this grape variety. I would guess it's at peak now but could hold here for a few years.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Failla PN, Balbo Malbec, Vignalta PB

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:36 pm

The Balbo?....have been dithering but now you have shone the light, will pick some up.
Any shorebirds hanging around Jenise??
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:25 pm

You'll like the Balbo, Bob. Like I said, very classy wines. (Don't confuse the premium Balbo line with the budget-level Crios, btw.) For one, she doesn't favor the charred barrels that so many Argentinian winemakers seem to like.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Jenise,

Pinot Blanc makes some great wines in northern Italy, usually way better than PG, in my experience. (In fact in the Alto Adige there are great wines made from PB and Sylvaner, both third-string in Alsace.)

Don't give up on the grape! See if the PBs from Terlaner, Termeno, or S Michele are available in your market, they should be.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Oliver, I'm already acquainted with the Terlano, so I readily understand why you reccomended that to me. I'll put the others on my shopping list.