The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Seafood dinner with champagne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Seafood dinner with champagne

by Jay Labrador » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:48 pm

Fresh from a recent trip to Champagne, Jojo called a few of us who opted to stay in Manila for the long weekend to a Champagne dinner at one of our favorite spots, Impressions. Jojo’s trip exposed him to an in-depth knowledge of Champagne, especially the smaller, so called “Grower” houses which are challenging the supremacy of the larger, established, and more famous houses. As he brings in a respectable number of Grower Champagnes himself through his Premium Wine Exchange, he just wanted to taste some of the wines he brings to review the portfolio.

I was the first to arrive, followed shortly by Alex and Jojo. Alex had a bit of wine earlier in the day and brought along half a bottle of Chablis 1er Cru Brocard Montée de Tonnerre 2008. This was stony and a bit tart on the finish with some orange pith notes.

The first champagne of the evening was one we’ve had many times before. Delamotte’s 2002 was quite full-bodied and showed quite a bit of ripe peach and red apple. Excellent as always.

The dinner itself was organized by Noel who had an all seafood menu prepared. The amuse bouche was a creamy and sweet pumpkin velouté.

This was followed by what was my favorite dish – a pickled cucumber slice stuffed with uni foam and some toast simply topped with uni, scallop and an oyster. A very simple dish that really let the ingredients speak for themselves.

The next dish was one we had before – a crispy egg topped with caviar.

This was followed by another amuse bouche, which also happened to be another egg, this time quail.

To go with dinner we had two more champagnes lined up. Opened next was Philipponat’s top of the line Clos des Goisses 2003 from a 5.5 ha vineyard, and one of Champagne’s most iconic sites. Young and primary. A tight wine with mostly orange notes coming through, this is rather attractive due to its smoothness but it needs age to bring out complexity. Not too interesting at this point. It did, however, pair superbly with the following scallop dish.

After the egg dishes was a dish of scallops. Although the scallops appeared to be seared, the seeming caramelization was actually a thin slice of chorizo. A very pretty dish.

The last champagne was Egly-Ouriet VP non-vintage, VP meaning Viellissiment Prolonge or extended aging. This particular bottling has at least 6 years aging on the lees and has fruit from the best villages in the Montaigne de Reims – Ambonnay, Bouzy and Verzenay. This is 70% pinot noir and 30% chardonnay. Full-bodied and quite spicy, with a distinct white pepper edge to it. Upon warming, there was a distinct creamy mouthfeel and caramel note despite the fact that this is an extra brut. I found this the most complex of the champagnes we tried.

Our main course did have some meat in the form of sweetbreads. This was combined with lobster and risotto for a rather hearty dish.

Although dubbed a champagne dinner, no one really expected to be drinking just whites the whole night so we ended with two reds. The first was a mystery wine brought by Gerry. Quite youthful looking as it still had a violet cast to it. Notes of blood and iron, leather and ripe black berries – black cherry and plum were most prominent. Later there was a bit of coffee as well. Already very smooth, this was excellent. Jojo guessed it to be a Jamet Cote Rotie 1999 and he nailed it!

We also had one of Alex’s favorites, Peter Michael Les Pavots 2003. This needed a lot of time to calm down. Initially it was very hot on the nose; the alcohol quite overwhelming. After a little over 2 hours in the decanter plus 30 minutes in the glass, it blew off most of the heat but what was left was concentrated soy sauce. Difficult to figure out at this point. Perhaps best to leave this alone for 5 years at least. To have something to go with the reds, we skipped the cheese course and instead opted for a slice of prime rib chopped up with some roasted potatoes and little cubes of foie gras. Infinitely more interesting than cheese!

After the mignardises (I favored the coconut and mint), we had our dessert which was a Poire Belle Helene sliced like a carpaccio with a chocolate sphere on top. Hot chocolate was poured on the sphere which melted to reveal ice cream inside

As champagne is my favorite wine, this was a dinner I was very happy to attend. Many thanks to Jojo for the bubbly, Alex and Gerry for the reds, and Noel and Chef Cyrille Soenen for putting it together.
Last edited by Jay Labrador on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Seafood dinner with champagne

by Jenise » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 am

I wish I knew Jojo! Great choices on all the grower stuff--I'm a fan of each of those houses and pretty much a late arrival to Philiponnat whose Cuvee Royale is my favorite under-$40 NV. Nonetheless, I'm entirely smitten and just recently picked up a '96 Goisses which will be our next special occasion wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 am

Hi Jenise. Jojo is actually looking at bringing in even more Growers. By the way, I tried to put pictures in this post but I kept getting the message "image size could not be determined" or words to that effect. I was able to post this with pictures on our local Philippines forum, though. Any thoughts on how I can fix this? My pictures are on Flickr.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 am

Jay - were you trying to upload the pictures or link them?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Jay - were you trying to upload the pictures or link them?

I was trying to link the Flickr photos which is what I did with my previous posts with pictures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Jay, didn't my idea about reducing the size of the images below 800x800 pixels work? If not, please send them to me at robingarr@gmail.com and I will be happy to try to work them over for you. :)
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Jay, didn't my idea about reducing the size of the images below 800x800 pixels work? If not, please send them to me at robingarr@gmail.com and I will be happy to try to work them over for you. :)

Hi Robin,

Haven't had time to work on it just yet. Will try to make some time over the weekend and I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Jay
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Jay, didn't my idea about reducing the size of the images below 800x800 pixels work? If not, please send them to me at robingarr@gmail.com and I will be happy to try to work them over for you. :)

Robin, 800 x 800? Does it matter what your source is? I store my photos on Picasso and have everything reduced to 400 x 400. Long time ago, I pretty much worked out that anything much larger won't transfer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Jenise wrote:Robin, 800 x 800? Does it matter what your source is? I store my photos on Picasso and have everything reduced to 400 x 400. Long time ago, I pretty much worked out that anything much larger won't transfer.

A semi-long time ago, I increased the size limit. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat May 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Jenise wrote:I wish I knew Jojo! Great choices on all the grower stuff--I'm a fan of each of those houses and pretty much a late arrival to Philiponnat whose Cuvee Royale is my favorite under-$40 NV. Nonetheless, I'm entirely smitten and just recently picked up a '96 Goisses which will be our next special occasion wine.

We drink our share of Champagne. Last night, I opened the NV Louis Roederer Brut Premier, which really impressed me. Rich and creamy, with some nice toast notes, I don't know how I've never had this before. Not a grower, but for a big house, a very good wine at, I think, a bit over $40. I'd buy again without hesitation.

We had some Prosecco after the Champagne, and it was no contest in complexity. Now, I'm off to Italy next week, so I'm not blowing the Prosecco off, as I'm sure I'll be drinking my share and more.. along with lots of Friuli wines.
Cheers, Jim