The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Breton FdP and a stunning Oregon rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Breton FdP and a stunning Oregon rose

by Jenise » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:38 pm

2012 Patton Valley Vineyard Pinot Noir Rosé Willamette Valley
Very pale color. Elegantly taut and spicy with minerally depth on the palate; a serious and contemplative style vs. the summer sipper/patio party kind of rose, and I'm glad to find one like this coming out of Oregon. $20 at an expensive wine store.

2010 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Franc de Pied Cabernet Franc
Spectacularly good young cab franc--thanks to Salil who warned me away from opening a first bottle any sooner. That I opened one now was prompted by a poor report on Cellar Tracker suggesting near death--but apparently he just had a bad bottle. This was stellar with cassis, green herb and clove on the nose, and more cassis, black raspberry, herb and dust on the palate. Density, tannins, acidity and a harmonious finish speak well for the future.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Breton FdP and a stunning Oregon rose

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

CellarTracker's greatest weakness is the sheer number of users who have no clue about how wine ages.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:CellarTracker's greatest weakness is the sheer number of users who have no clue about how wine ages.

I hear you, though I think the guy just had a bad bottle. His was thin and odd, where mine was definitely youthful. More the type you speak of is like the conversation I had with a guy who drank a 2012 pinot that I also just bought and declared it a major disappointment when, on day 2, it seemed a bit 'flat'. So I contacted him to ask if he got a better result on the third day, and his response was "no, since it was pinot, I just presumed it was gone." Maybe one should have a license to drink pinot?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Okay, slight reset: the guy on Facebook who eulogized his Breton FdP said the fruit had faded and all his bottles had CO2. Not at all the case with mine.