The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

POLL: Sweet wines I've never tried

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Sweet wines I've never tried

Sauternes
2%
Barsac
4%
Sweet Loire Chenin Blanc
4%
Ice Wines
3%
Trockenbeernauslese
5%
Tokaji
4%
Maury
13%
Rivesaltes
10%
Banyuls
5%
Clairette de Die
16%
Pedro Ximenez
5%
Malaga
14%
Madeira
2%
Port (Real Port from Portugal)
2%
Australian Stickies (Tokay, Muscat)
4%
Italian Passimento
8%

Total votes : 192
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: POLL: Sweet wines I've never tried

by Peter May » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:59 am

Hoke wrote: Not Tokay---but I think the only one of those still around is the Aussie "Tokay" (which is pretty remarkable..

The wines are still around, but not under that name anymore as a result of trade agreements with the EU. The new name is Topaque...

Interesting list of possible names that were proposed in this article about Tokay/Topaque http://moodle.plc.nsw.edu.au/pluginfile ... port-w.pdf
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:16 pm

James Dietz wrote: And it lasts forever, as it can't be damaged.

I bet if you left a bottle open on your counter it would eventually bubble like the La Brea Tar Pits.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Peter May wrote:
Hoke wrote: Not Tokay---but I think the only one of those still around is the Aussie "Tokay" (which is pretty remarkable..

The wines are still around, but not under that name anymore as a result of trade agreements with the EU. The new name is Topaque...

Interesting list of possible names that were proposed in this article about Tokay/Topaque http://moodle.plc.nsw.edu.au/pluginfile ... port-w.pdf

Magic Pudding??

This Ben Canaider guy likes a little whimsy, doesn't he? :D
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Had them all. Presently have 11 of them in the cellar.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:19 pm

California sweet wines have been ignored also and those are what I started with like Ch. St. Jean, Navarro, Monterey Penninsula and many others.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Jim Grow wrote:California sweet wines have been ignored also and those are what I started with like Ch. St. Jean, Navarro, Monterey Penninsula and many others.

I have exactly one half bottle left of Beringer Nightingale, 2001 vintage, which I would open if you ever came to Portland.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:56 pm

My CT misses some bottles, but I was surprised to find white sweet was 4% of my cellar (red fortified is listed as well , but 1%). The white sweet broke down to
France 94.0%
Loire Valley 56.6%
Bordeaux 31.3%
Alsace 4.8%
Southwest France 1.2%
Germany 4.8% Bottles
Pfalz 2.4%
Rheinhessen 1.2%
Mosel Saar Ruwer 1.2%
Austria 1.2% Bottles
Burgenland 1.2%

Not totally accurate, but indicative- sweet CB, especially dessert Vouvray from Huet and Foreau, is my ideal in dessert.

Sorry about the Tokay/Tokaji brainfart!
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks for the offer Hoke. I love Portland (think trout and salmon) and have never tried the Nightingale as it runs $30+ around here.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:32 am

Dale Williams wrote:Clairette de Die and Malaga for me (at least I don't remember trying)

Exactly the same for me. I suppose I could have had either, both or neither at some crazy offline, but no actual record or recollection of either.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 am

Okay, even though I screwed up the poll (never cast things so that people respond in the negative, dummy), I still believe I can see what I thought I would see in the results: that certain sweetie wines are so obscure, for whatever reasons, that they do not resonate with even the focused wine drinkers of this board.

Malaga: okay, expected. Malaga has really fallen off the board the last several years. It's cousins Port and Madeira have maintained their fragile but still important hold on wine drinkers' imagination, but Malaga---in the U.S. market most certainly---has essentially dropped off the radar. Okay, these things happen.

Clairette de Die, or the Dioise area in general? Okay, never got established really well in this country and I suppose it's a specialty that either doesn't resonate or never got sufficient identity clout behind it to do so. More popular in Europe. But, and I'm being brutally honest here: if you haven't had Clairette de Die it's not like you're missing anything monumental in your life. It can be good, mind you, but I've never found it all that compelling. Too me it's pleasant but, really, not that memorable. (Sorry, Dioisians.)

Passimenti? I'll discount that, as it's a vague and unspecific category...albeit fully in keeping with the overall nature of Italian wine (wonderfully chaotic, I mean). Probably should have limited it to vin santo...but that probably wouldn't have fared well either.

Now here's the part I am most interested in: as I expected, the wines the French vin doux naturel, and the VDN of Roussillon in particular, still don't have a broad consumption audience even among wine fanciers. And that's just wrong! Maury, Banyuls, Rivesaltes and others from the hotlands and the uplands in the south of France are the most delightful and deserving of wines and by rights should be in most people's cellars and mouths.

Sweet, yes. But usually not sticky-sweet. Not at all like Sauternes or TBAs. Somewhat in the Port vein, but oh so much lighter and more delicate. Probably closer to Madeira...but not at all like Madeira...in style and substance, the VDNs are the best of the odixative/sun-aged wines, in my estimation.

And they are sweeties I can drink! That is, more than a small sip or two of unction, as with Sauternes and others.

And finally, even though they are two different creatures, I love the VDNs for the same reasons I love Cognac: both are powerful but delicate, both are massively concentrated in their essence yet with patience ready to yield up that complexity, uncoiling out the glass in sinuous delight. And like Cognac, it's possible to slowly nurse a VDN and enjoy the seemingly endless layers of delight deep into the evening, without ever tiring of it.

So you guys get out and try some of these! They're not expensive; they're delightful; and the reward will be worth the effort.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Wow! I'm amazed that I've had all of them except Malaga (and even that I'm note sure of). I've also had:

- Austrian TBA (or is that included in the Trockenbeernauslese category, which I had assumed to be German TBA?)
- Samos Muscat
- assorted fruit wines (cassis, framboise, blackberry, blueberry, rhubarb, cranberry)
- Quady California black and orange muscat and Starboard
- Alsace Sélection de Grain Nobles
- Cyprus Commandaria
- Muscat de Beaumes de Venise
- Portuguese Moscatel
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Ted Richards wrote:Wow! I'm amazed that I've had all of them except Malaga (and even that I'm note sure of). I've also had:

- Austrian TBA (or is that included in the Trockenbeernauslese category, which I had assumed to be German TBA?)
- Samos Muscat
- assorted fruit wines (cassis, framboise, blackberry, blueberry, rhubarb, cranberry)
- Quady California black and orange muscat and Starboard
- Alsace Sélection de Grain Nobles
- Cyprus Commandaria
- Muscat de Beaumes de Venise
- Portuguese Moscatel

Good job, Ted!

And there's a special Uber-Geek award for the Cyprus Commandaria. :lol:

The "assorted fruit wines" category is kinda dicey (so I left them out), because to get the highhighhigh dessert sugar levels you generally have to add TomHill Kansas colloquism of sugar after the fact. And most of this type of sweetie is actually in the category of either a fortified and alcohol-stabilized liquer rather than a wine---i.e., alcohol, either neutral spirits or clear brandy usual, with concentrate of fruit/wine and added sugar.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Had all those too (have a bottle of Commanderia in the sideboard).

Don't forget the sweet ones made by adding spirit to grape must, usually only slightly or even unfermented - don't know if that qualifies under your guidlines. Pineau des Charentes is the best known example.

Anyone else had Floc de Gascogne?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Had all those too (have a bottle of Commanderia in the sideboard).

Don't forget the sweet ones made by adding spirit to grape must, usually only slightly or even unfermented - don't know if that qualifies under your guidlines. Pineau des Charentes is the best known example.

Anyone else had Floc de Gascogne?

Yea, PdC and Floc are both great, Bill. I believe they fall under the "Specialty Category" of the TTTB---as in, "We don't know where the hell these fit into out neat little squares, so we'll call the 'Specialty." Good stuff though: grape must with base spirit added from a previous distillation of the same fruit. (Also makes a damned good summer highball afternoon sipper or aperitif when you're over in those regions. Sort of a brandy/fruit based Collins married to a Spanish white sangria. 8)

The trouble with PdC is that most of the stuff that does manage to come into the country doesn't move very fast---it's not well known and the culties are few and far between. So it it does hit the shelf it often sits there for a long time, and then gets closed out for slow sales. And unfortunately, the stuff gets old and tired, so when people do drink it, they're not impressed----sorta in the same vein that someone opens a bottle of vermouth and lets it sit there forever and get stale and flat and insipid and brown. Shame, too, because the fresh and lively stuff can be charming.

Here's a tip I learned that you mighty try: make a nice sponge cake, something light with absorptive abilities, and add some PdC or Floc (the Floc is way heartier and more rustic) and serve it topped up with whipped cream. Delicious, refreshing, and not too heavy. Good summer dessert. If you need to fancy it up, you can sprinkle sultanas or some such.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Cake idea sounds interesting.

Another wine that doesn't turn over fast enough to stay fresh is Manzanilla Sherry, or Fino in general!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:31 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Had them all. Presently have 11 of them in the cellar.

When I read this, I thought wow, eleven?, knowing you have less of a sweet tooth than I and I have none whatsoever. Then I counted: I have eight. Guess it's not that hard to do. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm

My wife and I love sweet wines, but we only have six of the wines from the list in our cellar.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
Previous