The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clos Pepe x 2, Feather, Chidaine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Clos Pepe x 2, Feather, Chidaine

by Jenise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Some other particularly notable bottles from last weekend:

2009 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Méthode Traditionelle Brut Chenin Blanc
Sunny gold in the glass, voluptuously ripe and creamy. Excellent mouthfeel and persistence. Why in the h-word didn't I buy a case when I had the chance?

2010 Clos Pepe Estate Chardonnay Sta. Rita Hills
J & A's bottle. Those who contributed to the average 89.2 pt score accrued on Cellar Tracker so far must not be fans of cool climate (or vintage) chardonnays or Chablis, because this is the closest thing to Chablis I've ever tasted from California and in all the right ways. Very pale with muted fruit, excellent minerality and a flinty nose that turns delightfully dieselly with time in the glass. Good depth, great finish and totally refreshing. My friends have a case--I'm envious!

2003 Long Shadows Wineries Cabernet Sauvignon Feather Columbia Valley
Shared with friends who have become recent fans of Long Shadows wines. This is the inaugural vintage of Feather, and I suspect the only Feather actually made, hands on, by Dunn himself. That is, this has his style all over it where no vintage I've tasted since and presumably 'made' on his behalf have. Excellent, nicely middle aged, with a good future ahead. Should be a 20 year wine.

2002 Clos Pepe Estate Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills
Good just barely middle-aged pinot flavors with youthful color, stunning for it's age, but still with aggressive tannins--so much so that a Randy Dunn cabernet (above) was the better friend of the grilled swordfish we were having for dinner. This could have a long life ahead of it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Clos Pepe x 2, Feather, Chidaine

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: Chidaine - there will be another vintage
Decisions are made by those who show up