The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

SacBee: Dunne on Alderson RW Vinegar

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

SacBee: Dunne on Alderson RW Vinegar

by TomHill » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Interesting article by MikeDunne in today's SacBee:
SacBee:RWVinegar

on the Alderson RedWine Vinegar. I tried this out at DarrellCorti's a few weeks ago and was impressed.

"For his part, Alderson makes clear that vinegar isn’t spoiled wine."

It is not easy to make vinegar. You just can't leave an open btl of wine out on the counter and expect it to turn to vinegar (as everyone claims). It just turns to oxidized wine. Acetaldehyde is not acetic acid. It's important that you have a good innoculent of "mother of vinegar".

I (and Susan) make our own RW vinegar. I got my mother from EmilioCastelli. His mother dates back to his grandfather in the LakeGarda area (Emilio's home) who started it in the late 1800's. It's pretty good stuff.

Anyway, interesting/SWR article.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: SacBee: Dunne on Alderson RW Vinegar

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Good read Tom! Dale`s vinegar pot must pale in comparison to this method eh.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Tom, I make my own vinegar, too. And in fact I've found it pretty easy since I've discovered that a few certain types of wines turn to vinegar at the drop of a hat, low-end Italian and young Beaujolais being in my experience the most reliable to do so. It's definitely not oxidized wine I'm putting on my salads! What I love best about making my own, other than putting wine I can't drink to good use, is the benefit of aging. We're currently using what we made in 2011.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Very good article.

A few years back, my pal Nilo was visiting his mom, who'd been living in the South San Francisco area for many years. One of her old Italian pals had come across a small barrel of vinegar in their garage. I don't think they knew how long it had been there. They gave him several bottles and he passed one on to me. It's easily the best wine vinegar I've ever had.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child