The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Mature and Maturing Cabernets and More!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Mature and Maturing Cabernets and More!

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 am

1996 Cafaro Cabernet Sauvignon (Stags Leap, Napa Valley). Definitely a mature cab, funky as heck, but oh-my-god this was a delicious wine. Still rich and full of maturing fruit. No obvious bricking in the glass, but full of mature cab flavor with earth and savory plum and cassis notes. What an awesome wine.

2005 Palladian Cabernet Sauvignon (St. Helena, Napa Valley) From a site on the entrance road to Meadowood, so one would expect super premium pricing, but no...quite "reasonable" ($40s) This was a more evolved bottle than my first sample. Deliciously rich, but extremely earthy and Bordeauxesque. Deep plum fruit (previous bottle was more red fruit). Fantastic mouth feel Bracing acidity. Awesome stuff. Another wow wine from Palladian. Rick at Groezingers says that the 2008 is also rocking.

Lusu 2010 Dry Creek Sangiovese In Steve Edomond's old space near THE THEFT (Bicycle schlepped inside, thank you very much!). New project by young Portugese-American winemaker. Tiny place. A delicious TANGY Sangiovese with cherry fruit, a touch of leather, and aweome bracing acidity.

2013 Bouchaine Rose of Pinot. Damn. Nice tangy savory rose. Salmon color. Refreshing. Delicious quaffer. Bravo. Even better, perhaps, than the very fine Bartholemew Park new rose. BP's 2011 Zinfandel was deliciously light and fresh, though.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Mature and Maturing Cabernets and More!

by Jon Peterson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:31 pm

Just had the BV 2005 Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. Wonderful, mature - but I feel as though it has plenty of time left in the bottle.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Mature and Maturing Cabernets and More!

by Brian K Miller » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:39 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Just had the BV 2005 Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. Wonderful, mature - but I feel as though it has plenty of time left in the bottle.

w/r/t the Palladian...not sure due to the bottle variation. The first bottle a few weeks ago was still pretty primary. THIS bottle was definitely further along the maturity curve. Same shop. Same source (the winery's own stock, I think??) So...who knows?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach